Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: hi...  (Read 5630 times)

Effinmeno

hi...
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I registered on here yesterday whilst having a panic over the ever joyless hair loss misery  :'( and saw somones post about some supplement pills which was helpfull...well..I hope so cos I've ordered some :)

briefly,  this is the second time I have been post menopausal, the first when I was 28 which trust me was heart breaking as I was planning on having a baby, but scans on my ovaries confirmed that they were no longer functioning. I researched hrt and chose to use estrogen gel & 3 monthly progesterone, it must of done something right cos after a year and a half I got pregnant again, despite what my doctor warned me I went full term and had a healthy baby girl. I didn't snap straight back into meno either..infact, I'm 41 now and started to feel a bit errrrr meno-ish a few months ago so went and got tested which confirmed that I was...so, I went straight back onto the gel again...trouble is, my hair is falling out massivily, I usually was it daily but today feel too scared to wash it..it seems to be coming out faster then the last time I went through this, but on reading up yesterday it could be that I was giving myself too much of a high does of estrogen, so I've lowered that and also started on the progesterone yesterday as well as ordered suppliments.

I've also decided to give Regaine Regular Strength for Women a go...I've read some good and some  not so good reports on it's success, but I'm willing to give anything ago at the moment. I'm hoping with the use of silicon free shampoos it may at least stop the hair from coming out at this rate. I will let you know how it goes and if it's any good

But..whilst I think the hair loss is the most cruellest trick of nature I have decided that my hair doesn't define who I am..there's always hats ;)

If anyone has any other tips I'd love to hear about it

Other issues I have is osteoporosis risks which I'll go into another time

Thanks, look forward to getting to know you all

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: hi...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »

:welcomemm:  hair loss can be a b….r  >:( …….. you could look at the Ovacome web-site too to see how ladies going through cancer treatments cope.  There may be pointers to very good wig makers, I understand that real hair wigs are the 'best' - I haven't been on that site for ages but it is how I landed here  ::)

There are lovely scarfs and hats on the market.  Is other body hair disappearing?  Browse round!

Effinmeno

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »

Hi CLKD & thanks for your reply...not sure about other body hair as I keep that shaved or short lol

I'll check out the site, thanks, I was looking at wigs yesterday too...the postive there is how quick it'd be getting ready to go out...every cloud and all that :) xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »

Also the Muslim girls have beautiful scarfs, we were talking to a couple in the Summer - bright colours, clasped with brooches. I had on my Siam silver brooches so we were exchanging ideas.  Scarves are changeable.  Washable ……….

Effinmeno

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

sounds lovely, thanks for the tip :) x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  It will depend on where you are in the UK as to what access you will have to various 'styles'  ;)

Effinmeno

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »

will do :) thanks again x

mamakaren

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »

Hi,

Love your username! Effinmeno!!! :lol: :rofl:

Karen

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »

Hi Effinmeno

:welcomemm: from me too!

Sorry to hear about your hair loss - but this is not a side effect of oestrogen, but sometimes an effect of progestogens especially the androgenic types:
Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Have you had your thyroid checked because change in hair and hair loss can be associated with a thryoid condition?

8. Hair/Skin Changes.

Hair and skin are particularly vulnerable to thyroid conditions, and in particular, hair loss is frequently associated with thyroid problems. With hypothyroidism, hair frequently becomes brittle, coarse and dry, while breaking off and falling out easily. Skin can become coarse, thick, dry,and scaly. In hypothyroidism, there is often an unusual loss of hair in the outer edge of the eyebrow. With hyperthyroidism, severe hair loss can also occur, and skin can become fragile and thin.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/10signs.htm

Sadly also hair changes are associated with menopause - and low oestrogen - our glossy locks disappear in favour of wispy dry stuff that doesn't shine!

So you should not lower oestrogen to reduce hair loss, and progesterone may add to it iew make it worse. If you are using utrogestan (progesterone which is bioidentical) this is the least likely to cause such problems - but in any case you will need the progesterone to ensure your womb lining is shed.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Effinmeno

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »

hello nice to meet you...well 'Effinmeno' about sums it up lol...I've heard that progesterone is usually the problem but I read up tones yesterday and came across a really interesting article about how too much estrogen can cause problems such as hair loss, I'll dig it out and share it here, I did jump straight onto the higher does (4 squirts of estrodiol (sp) ..and since using that my hair just started to fall so I'm not ruling it out yet, I reduced it yesterday and already feel better although I have saved myself the trauma and didn't wash my hair today (& feel very grotty for it too, I might add lol) my progesterone is medroxyprogesterone 10mg which I have to take twice daily for 14 days every three months (I thought twice daily seemed a bit much) and I only started that yesterday so unsure of the effects yet... ???

Also I should add that I have only been on HRT since 16th Dec. I suffered hairloss last time i went through the menopause and it did all grow back so I am trying to stay positive that once I have settled with the hrt it will grow back again...or at best slow down on the falling out...  ???

Thanks for the welcomes xx

Effinmeno

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »

thanks for the links & info too H..I will check them out tomorrow xx

Effinmeno

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »

hi again, here's the link I mentioned yesterday about hairloss and estrogen dominance http://kodjoworkout.com/2012/08/menopause-hair-loss-and-too-much-estrogen/

quite an interesting read I thought

I'm now on day 3 of a lower dose of estrogen and also of taking progesterone, and this morning I nervously washed my hair :/ I only notice 2 hairs in the bath (yes I watched closely for any hair....felt like a bit of a loon too lol) and when blow drying I only noticed one hair fly away...this could be a fluke of course but I'm going to remain positive  ;)