Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: new hob wok burner discolours horribly after each use  (Read 11090 times)

oldsheep

new hob wok burner discolours horribly after each use
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »

We bought a new Siemens hob with a front wok burner in October. Didn't own a wok, so bought one at Xmas and first time I used the hob (which was spotless) with the new wok, the actual steel/aluminium burner looked like a bunch of students had been at it and not cleaned it for about a year. Looked like brown grime everywhere.
Scrubbed it for ages with wire wool (steel wool scourer too big to get into the grooves) and soaked in vinegar solution, used ancient electric toothbrush etc and it looked better but still old and grot.

Siemens sent an engineer who said "it's normal to discolour with time" (first time?!) and he'd organise a new one as a gesture of goodwill. I'm still waiting.

Used the burner for the 2nd time today for lunch and guess what  - the brown grime spotty look is straight back. Currently is soaking in vinegar again  :(

I wish I'd not bought a hob with a wok burner as always managed stir fries with a normal burner with my old gas hob, but is this normal for these burners, or is my one a particularly feeble metal or something?

I'm neurotic about the new hob and it gets well cleaned daily. The burner covers discolour easily too. Wish I'd not changed my old one as cranky though it was, it was better quality.
This new one was £300 too  :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: new hob wok burner discolours horribly after each use
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »

Why would a hob need a wok burner?  We use a wok as a stand alone item on top of the burner but maybe your old pots/pans are not compliant with the new 'top'?  We had to get rid of heavy pans (forget the name, oh Le Cruseut) because they weren't suitable!

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »

well, I bought a new wok on amazon and showed it to the Siemens engineer and he didn't blink, so think it's fine. A lot of the new gas hobs have these 'wok burners' as one of the front 2 burners. The other 3 are fine.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »

Not got a clue why this should be happening.

Just one suggestion. Have you tried Astonish Cream Cleaner. It's like a white hardish paste and it cleans just about anything with out scratching it. It does my glass hob top beautifully. It's half the price of the bespoke cleaners. It even removes sticky residue on jars when you take the label off.

Oh and I would have loved to have a wok burner but I don't have gas in the kitchen.

Honeyb
x

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »

thanks Honeyb, I've not heard of that. Is it a normal supermarket stock item or a special order?
At present I'm using vinegar and soaking it in it, and then one of those wire wool with pink muck in them things (cheap and effective). It's almost as if the heat from the double burner is too high for the metal, and has that burnt-grime effect. Horrible and a pain to have a nice meal, then have to soak the burner for an hour and scrub what should be a light-wipe job (the wok has high sides; there's no food spillage) for 1/2 hour.
The hob had good reviews so I do wonder if I've been unlucky.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:45:27 PM »

I think I got mine from semi chem but you can get it online too.

I am a bit picky about my hob too and like it shiny  ::). This stuff may well cut down on the time it takes to clean yours.

Honeyb
x

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »

just ordered some online. thanks for the tip! x

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »

I've put it on my wish list too.  However, is it ok to use on stainless steel hobs?

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »

Yes it's fine CG. I used it on my last hob which was stainless steel and I now use on my glass topped hob and stainless steel splash back and cooker hood. I also use on my wooden kitchen unit doors. I use it on just about everything. I have not got a clue what's in it and it feels quite grainy until you add a little water. All I know is it does not scratch things.
Try it on a little corner first, I would not like you to be chasing me down the street  ;D

Works well on black marks on trainers as well  ;D

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:53:20 PM by honeybun »

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »

Thanks for that. I would test first, then chase you down the street!  ;D

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »

I can think of more horrible fates than being chased down the street by (puff puff) me  ;D

So you mix it with a little water first then? Do you use a cloth or wire wool scourer too?

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »

I use a damp cloth when I am doing glass type things or stainless steel. For tougher things a brush or a scourer.

Honeyb
x

Gosh I hope it works now  :o