Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: thyroid problems  (Read 4645 times)

ritah

thyroid problems
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »

hi im coming out of menopause im 56 .ive recently gone on to  a much lower dose of premique hrt . as I wanted to wean my body slowly off it. and ive got all my hot sweats back funny headaches  dizziness . but at the same time ive come up with a thyroid imbalance that started last year. it was very slighty underactive so nothing was done doctor said we will test you again in 3 months. but actually it was 6 months later. anyway the thyroid levels had gone back to normal. just recently a blood test has revealed low iron and my thyroid again only this time its not my thyroxine levels they are normal .doctor said nothing for me to worry about will test you again in 2months. im on tablets to boost my iron been on them 2 weeks but have only noticed a slight improve ment  in tiredness. so im thinking maybe its my thyroid that is causing my other symptoms  has any one else experienced this with there thyroid thyroxine levels normal but thyroid still showing abnormaltie as im worried about it as its not the thyroxine levels causing it this time can you please help with advice many thanks

Hurdity

Re: thyroid problems
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »

Hi ritah

Sorry to hear about your problems and not being able to sort them out.

I don't have thyroid problems myself ( not that I know of anyway), but it is really important for your doctor to give you the results of the blood test, and then go on a site like thyroid uk.
http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html

I don't know much about it but I understand the reference range for normal changed (a few years ago maybe) so that a lower TSH level than before can be considered abnormal. Your doctor may be using the old one - but as I said I don't know if this is the case. The other thing is have you been tested for the full thyroid hormones ie TSH, T3 and T4 ( I think these are the ones) ? Sometimes people register a normal TSH but can't convert one of the hormones to the other (I think T3 to T4??). I have a friend like this.

So - I presume you have had more than just an ordinary blood test?

Also if you have been told you have thyroid abnormalities, have you been told what it is and whether they can treat you?

If you are still getting your menopausal symptoms after reducing HRT and you are finding this debilitating then I would suggest going back to the previous dose - but maybe at your age thinking of changing to a different type if you are thinking of being on it longer term eg a transdermal ( patch or gel) oestrogen with progesterone - or perhaps start by changing to Femoston in the first instance?

Sorry I can't be of more help but sounds like you need to sort out exactly what is the problem with your thyroid if it is still showing some abnormalities?

Hurdity x

scriv

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »

Hi ritah

Having had an underactive thyroid for 20+ years which started around my (early) menopause, I can confirm that thyroid problems can often occur about the same time and do take quite a time to sort out and be firmly diagnosed as they share similar symptoms.

Also, my sister was definitely feeling and demonstrating all the effects of hypothroidism and for a time still had 'normal' results. She was told to go for another test after 6 months if not feeling good, but I sent her back after 3 and lo and behold, she then registered quite low and started her thyroxine.

So, it can take a time to be diagnosed and then unfortunately also takes a time before you get at the right level and get the balance right. You do have to be patient I'm afraid, but you do get there!

Other symptoms to look our far apart from tiredness and fatigue are slowness of body and mind and feeling cold. Read up about it too and always go back to your doctor if you don't feel right and ask for another thyoid function test. Your doctor sounds as if he is monitoring it well by telling you to come back in 2 months when things might be a bit clearer.

Take care. Scriv

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:10:18 PM by scriv »

ritah

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »

hi im so sorry I haven't thank you for your reply sooner ive tried several times to get back on this site but have fail plus have had pc problems. I am still being tested for thyroid funtions every 3 months its weird its normal 1 test then show under active the next test its up and down but doctor said levels are such it doesn't need treatment as of yet. they are just monitoring it every 3 months. many thanks again

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »

Thanks for the up-date. 

ritah

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

hi ive recently been tested for thyroid and it showed up normal. so I guess its waiting another 3 months to see what levels are then. im getting synptoms of underactive thyroid but its normal so im at a loss.  I still think its the result of going on a much lower dose of preique hrt the symtoms started 3 or 4 months after me going on lower dose.ss that's premique. but doctors want to take me off hrt all togeather. any ideas what to do or suggest please. my symptoms are pulpetations. feeling like im going to pass out. shakes. only started 3 or 4months after starting low dose could it be that it wasn't my thyroid it was normal many thanks

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »

It may well be caused by subconscious anxiety here is a good forum that explains it

http://palps.chemicalforums.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1306516190

My OH was recently put on a low dose thyroid prescription, it showed up in a blood test, he did not have any symptoms of low thyroid function and has not felt any different taking the tablets, but is going for blood test tomorrow to see what difference it has made.

It maybe also that you need a different HRT, one that can cause palpitations is sudden lowering or increase in estrogen, also palpitations can be cause by food intake and pressure and gas and is harmless but very uncomfortable and scary when it happens.

Have a look at the forum link its very good. Its run by a retired Cardiologist.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »

Thyroid function test can be 'within normal limits' so then symptoms need to be discussed and acted upon. 

ritah

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »

hi thank you silverlady and clkd . I will look at forum silverlady for topic you suggested. ive talked to doctor about my symptoms . ive had numerouse bloods   done  all blood counts ok . there is a suggestion of a blood sugar problem which is being tested tomorrow morning. I still think its the lowering of my hrt if its not blood sugar then I may talk to doctor about another form of hrt  but they want me to come of it but its not them suffering is it many thanks again