Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Name change  (Read 11492 times)

bramble

Name change
« on: January 25, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »

I got divorced years ago (no kids) but still kept my married name (through laziness I guess). Now thinking of changing back to my maiden name. Anyone done this and any tips on what order to do it ie. bank, credit cards, council, electricity etc.

Bramble

Rowan

Re: Name change
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »

I would be interested to know too Bramble as I have also thought about this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »

Talk to the Council Registrar .  I think we can call ourselves what name we like as long as it is consistent and the important organisations are aware, i.e. Bank, GP Surgery, Hospital records …..

bramble

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »

I am in Scotland CLKD so no need to talk to anyone. We can call ourselves anything we want without going through a deed poll rigmarole. I am not sure in what order to do the big things ie money stuff, electoral roll, house deeds etc etc. I am wary of being in a halfway house situation of having swapped some things and not others and not having enough identification to prove who I am one way or another. I know some companies want me to send them my birth certificate and divorce papers (not copies) so I can only do one major thing at a time and it will not be quick. Just wondered if anyone has had recent experience of doing this.
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »

*I* didn't mention Deed Poll    :-\.  Speaking to the Registrar will maybe give you advice as to who you need to tell that you are charging your name.  There is a legal requirement for some organisations to be in the know: and yes I would revert back to my Maiden name in the event of Divorce so would tell:

GP / Vet Surgery
Hospital if I were needing regular treatment
Bank
Building Society
Life Insurance
Car Insurance
House Insurance
Post Office and other money holding accounts
Stocks and Shares

Trey

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »

I wanted to change my name and got overwhelmed by all I would have to notify. In US takes a court order, which is always granted if change isn't potentially harmful to anyone.  So, as it turns out, I may remarry fairly soon, so will wait til then to go through all the inconvenience.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »

Something you want to share Trey  ;)

Honeyb
x

clio

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »

Gosh, it was bad enough changing to my married name, I cld of kept my maiden name and sonetimes wished I had, it was a nightmare notifying everyone and ive still not done it all. Bits lefy are like clothing catalogue and unimportant stuff. I will give you all a laugh though, ive had premium bonds for years and never won anything, it was one of the things I hadnt notified change of name. I bet you have already guessed what happened!! Towards the end of last year I got a cheque through the post at my old address (my mums) for £25 in my maiden, panic set it as thought I wldnt be able to cash it but cos im the same person and the bank has copy of marriage certificates I was able to put in my bank as normal.....phew. I have since updated my details with premium bonds.  ::)

bramble

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »

SO far I am up to 27 different companies I need to inform! And of course buckets of places that have my email address! Is this such a good idea?...........................

Bramble

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »

I have decided not, will just use the nee.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »

How many are a legal requirement though?  Perhaps now is the time to cull those people you no longer want to be in contact with  ;)

bramble

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »

Humph! I have already simplified all the paperwork in my life and the 27 is just the necessary ones. Have a count up - you will be amazed just how many there are. And that does not yet include doctor, dentist, vet etc!

Bramble

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »

Hi bramble

It is not a legal requirement in UK to change to your husband's name when you marry ( unlike ither contries in UK).

I have always kept my maiden name despite being married for umpteen years ( over 30).

You can call yourself by either.

My advice would be just change it and notify all the utilities etc when you next have to contact them. Probably the bank and cards etc straight away. Not sure what the position is about passport - if your passport is in your married name then perhaps continue to apply for flights in this name and change it back when you have to renew it. They will still have your original (maiden) name on their records if you already had to send the proof of marriage. Ditto driving licence? Just send off for a new one presumably explaining the situation. I can't see it as a problem?

As CLKD - I would contact all of the official ones - but probably only on renewal. You are legally either name as far as I understand

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

You can call yourself what you like as long as 'certain' people are told: which is why I suggest contacting the local Registrar.  It is the same across the UK, there is no need to alter to the husband's name when marrying.  Traditional but not a requirement.

bramble

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »

Fact of the matter is that I did take my husband's name when I married and I now want to change back. The majority of companies require me to send my original birth certificate, original marriage lines and original divorce papers before they will change my name. Therefore I can only complete my name change with one company at a time. Even if I am lucky it will still take about a couple of weeks to send the documents off to one company and get them back, before I can do the next in line. At that rate it will take months and months before I am all swapped over as I have at least 27 major things to change (like bank, credit card, pension, council, driving license, tax, insurances etc etc). It is no huge problem, just a lengthy procedure. That's why I asked if anyone had done it recently and had any tips.

Bramble
Pages: [1] 2