Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Taking a break from HRT  (Read 9325 times)

Suzanna

Taking a break from HRT
« on: January 24, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »

Hello

I have no ovaries and have been taking various HRT tablets for the last 2 years.  I am 48 this year.
I have been taking Femoston 1/10mg for about 18 months

Since November I have not been feeling 100% and wasnt sure if it related to the HRT Tablets.

I have been having some breast pain recently and this month my break through bleed was 3 days late.

I arranged an appointment to see my doctor this morning.    As I haven't been feeling well she has said that I should stop taking the tablets for one month and then see her again to discuss how I feel.

I am a very apprehensive about stopping the tablets and I wondered if anyone else had ever stopped their HRT temporarily and what happened when they did.

Many thanks

S

Sarah2

Re: Taking a break from HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »

It sounds a bit drastic to stop when you have no oestrogen at all of your own and need oestrogen to protect your bones etc.
A month's break doesn't sound much but I suppose it's a long time given your loss of ovarian function.

Were you able to tell the dr how you felt unwell? It's not usual to suddenly feel unwell on HRT if it's suited you for 18 months and nothing's changed.

I wonder if the dose it actually too low and that is why you feel unwell, and the reason the bleed was late?

There is another thread going on here about the effects of stopping HRT - prolonging the inevitable- so maybe there is some info there that might help you?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:46:49 PM by Sarah2 »

mamakaren

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »

Hi Suzanna,

You never said what symptoms you were having? Is your Dr. sure it's caused by the hormones and not something else like the flu? I know I would be scared to stop taking them as well, especially since you have been taking them for so long without any side effects!

:welcomemm:

Karen

mamakaren

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »

Here is the link to the thread Sarah mentioned it is quite imformative and might help you some!

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23647.0.html

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »

Hello and welcome Suzanna
I would be really interested to know what symptoms you've had that has made your doctor decide time out from HRT is a good idea!!!!! I agree with the others that just withdrawing HRT for a month is unlikely to show anything and at 48 you are still too young to be without oestrogen to protect your heart and bones.  Keep us posted about your progress.
DG x

Sarah2

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »

Is this another example of how most GPs are so twitchy about HRT they 'blame' it rather than looking for the other possible reasons behind illnesses and investigating the symptoms?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »

Sarah2 - I think you may very well be right. DG x

Suzanna

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »

Many thanks for the replies.

After reading the posts I decided to go against my GP's advice and I have taken my tablet.

My symptoms are:
Intermittant pain in the breast, uncomfortable when carrying items, such as piles of clothing upstairs.  There are no lumps that I can feel and there is not change to the breast.
Discomfort just below the breast in the rib area.  I had a new underwired bra which I dont usually wear in November and that is when the discomfort started but I have only worn it 3 times since then.
Pain in the centre of my chest but for a few seconds.  No tightness or crushing sensations.

I have been feeling very low and down of late.

I work full time and am married and have children 16 and 19

The femoston 1/10 should mean that I have a bleed when I change from progesterone to estrogen tablets but have always had a bleed on day 11/12 of the second lot of tablets.  I mentioned this to the GP some time ago and she said that as long as I had a bleed I didn't need to worry.   This month it was late and didn't start until day 1 of the estrogen tablet.   I had period pains this month as well.

I have been feeling very edgy and each day that I feel like this I get more anxious that there is a problem with my health.  My parents both died of cancer related illnesses in their early 60's

I eat very healthily and have lost three and a half stone since April 2012.
The HRT have stopped all the chocolate cravings and things that I use to like to eat I don't enjoy anymore so the thought of coming off the tablets made me worry and think that all the cravings would come back and I would put all the weight on.

I had cysts on my ovaries and so didnt have the hot flushes or night sweats or any of the other menopause symptoms that other people suffered with before they took HRT.    I had my second ovary removed in  2011 and the consultant wanted me to take HRT until I am 50

My husband has told me not to get so worried and try not to be so in tune with my body and that at 48 you have the occasional ache and pain.

So I am  trying to be positive and I will ask to see a different GP is my symptoms don't go away.

I did read on a website yesterday that feeling anxious can be due to low estrogen levels, and it suggested different types of food to eat to maintain your hormone levels, but dont think that will help when the tablets maintain my hormones and not my body.

I am not feeling so worried today as I had a good nights sleep and have taken my tablet.

I will let you know how I get on.

Sarah2

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 01:48:25 PM »

I hope that you feel happier with your decision to carry on.

I know that stats aren't everything but the odds of your HRT causing breast symptoms after only 18 months and for someone of your age is very, very small and probably too small to calculate.

Many women do have unexplained breast pain which is often muscular and nothing to do with the breast.

The pain in your chest could again be muscular or anxiety related - a lot of chest pain is anxiety related due to tensing muscles or the way we breathe if stressed, or even by indigestion.

Working full time as well as running the home with teenagers around is stressful for anyone!  Does your husband help out a bit? Can you perhaps try doing things you enjoy that might help you relax a bit more and help your mood? Maybe something like a yoga class, dancing, walking etc?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:51:01 PM by Sarah2 »

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »

My sister suffers from this  http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Costochondritis and it was always was worse just before her periods when her hormones were most active.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Costochondritis

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »

Hi Suzanna

I agree with Sarah2 that your dose may actually be too low for you but that would be to discuss with your consultant perhaps - or your doc, although you would have to be persuasive if she is wanting you to stop.

Starting your period the day after stopping the combi pills is not late at all! The thing is when you take tablets the amount actually getting into your system can vary with factors such as what you've eaten, digestion, alcohol, stress etc so any of these may cause a drop in progestogen levels in your body and trigger the bleed before you've finished the course of progestogen and this is normal, I understand.

I am surprised the doctor didn't want to investigate further the cause of your chest pain?

Well done with the weight loss by the way!! This will reap benefits as far as your general health is concerned as I am sure you are aware!

Hurdity x