Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Painful withdrawal bleeds on HRT? Anyone?  (Read 4511 times)

Sarah2

Painful withdrawal bleeds on HRT? Anyone?
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »

Hi Ladies

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I've been using HRT for 5 years now- oestrogel and norethisterone for most of that time with 2-3 monthly long cycles, which is what my consultant gynae recommended.

I recently changed - 3 cycles back- to Utrogestan, 200mgs x 10 days per 2 monthly cycles.

The difference is that the withdrawal bleeds are now not so easily timed- they are starting on day 10 of taking Utrogestan, not 3 days after stopping, and my last 'period' a few days ago was incredibly painful- I was freezing cold, aching legs, sweaty, felt sick and faint. Thankfully I was at home but had I been out it would have been terrible.

I have frequent scans (I see my dr privately) and the last scan was just 3 months ago.

However, I really don't know how long I can carry on with these painful bleeds. I was able to time them like clockwork with Norethisterone but don't want to take it again because Utrogestan has a safer profile re. breast cancer, long term.

Compared to other women on sequential HRT my bleeds seem quite heavy and painful- so just wondered.

I may reduce the cycle length to 6 weeks or may try to reduce the Oestrogel to 1 pump instead of 2 daily to see how that goes. In the past when I've tried to reduce the dose my night sweats and insomnia have come back within a week.

Thanks.

honeybun

Re: Painful withdrawal bleeds on HRT? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »

Last year I gave utrogestan a trial along with evorel patches. It was in an attempt to see if the progesterone in evorel conti was causing my anxiety. It made no difference to my anxiety and it gave me a really painful period. The utrogestan also gave me bladder problems as I was using vaginally. I started taking the utrogestan on a continual basis but had breakthrough bleeds and a lot of cramp.

I went back onto evorel conti and now am back to no bleeds and no bladder problems. I know a lot of the ladies here find its great for them but it just did not work for me.
I think if I were to come off HRT I would no longer have a natural period. I am 53 and my period had stopped for eight months before I went on a sequi. I feel that I was trying to stimulate a bleed that was not natural and therefore it was very painful. I would rather have continual progesterone to keep the womb lining thin rather than trying to stimulate an already thin lining to bleed. Hence the terrible pain.
This is just my theory for me but could of course be complete rubbish scientifically.

Honeyb
x

Sarah2

Re: Painful withdrawal bleeds on HRT? Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »

Thanks. I am sure there are lots of us having different experiences.

There are reasons why I want a bleed, and my gynae believes in keeping the progestins as low as possible as the research seems to be pointing in the direction of them being the culprit re. b cancer, not oestrogen- just a possible theory. That's why I won't take a combined HRT prep as it's 2 hormones daily.

I have always had painful-ish bleeds with norethisterone but the last bleed was off the scale re. pain and feeling yucky. My lining is not thin anyway- it's always around 6mm and he's happy with that on sequential HRT. 

I won't use it vaginally as I have a bladder issue anyway- IC- which I have struggled with for years so don't want anything to make it worse.