Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Prempak-C allergy - rash on face  (Read 6579 times)

BreadFruit

Prempak-C allergy - rash on face
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »

As some of you know I am on Prempak-C.

I searched the forum but could not find anything on the allergies and what other products were used instead.

I am reacting terribly on the substance/s in the medication. I get a terrible rash on my hands, face, neck and ears. It looks so bad and splotchy that people think I have been abused or beaten up. It burns and is hot and itchy. Eyelids swollen up and the skin is splitting and wet.

So I was wondering what other things people have used instead of Prempak.

I mean I am really happy with it overall as I have hardly any night sweats now, mood is much better, better memory and no more joint pains when waking up. Also my appetite has been rained in and hope to be losing some weight soon. Its just the rash which is doing my head in literally.

I am going to see the doctor again tomorrow morning. Was hoping I can get a response before I go.

Thanks.

Hurdity

Re: Prempak-C allergy - rash on face
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »

Hi Breadfruit - sorry to hear about your allergy. Difficult to know what you might be allergic to but that is the only preparation that is not bio-identical oestrogen, ie it is made from horse urine - so maybe there is something in it you are reacting to - or maybe something in the pills?

If you look at the product leaflet the list of what is in the Prempak looks as if it may be longer compared to say Elleste Duet or Femoston 2/10 but I haven't looked in detail!

Here are the links to the product information - scroll down to section 6.1 - list of excipients

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/2236/spc - Prempak
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/20962/spc - Elleste Duet
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/history/15925/SPC/Femoston+2+10mg - Femoston

Many of us on here prefer using HRT containing estradiol rather than the PREMpak PREMique type. If you want to take tablets then the synthetic progestogen in Femoston is most similar to our own progesterone.

All the different types for peri-menopause are listed here (green menu on left):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Some of us prefer patches, or gel and separate progesterone - it's a matter of preference and what agrees with you really!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hurdity x

BreadFruit

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »

Thanks Hurdity for your reply.

Now that you posted it, I am allergic to Horses. I used to ride horses as a kid and then stopped when I was around 8 to 9 years old.

Then I had an allergy test in my late teen that showed I was allergic to horses, cats and so forth.

So it could well be that I am allergic to that and maybe also the colouring used in the coating of the tablets.

Yeah, I would prefer a patch, but my doctor wont give this to me, not until I am older she said.

I am now going to look at the link to get myself prepared.

I guess I was given Prempak because its cheap, compared to the other products listed. NHS needing to save money and all that....

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »

Are you sure it's the HRT that is causing your rash. I don't think that having an allergy to horses is relevant to be honest.
How long were you on HRT before this started. Have you looked at other causes before you decide to change.

Just a thought.

Honeyb
x

BreadFruit

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »

Its definately (well I think it is the horse part of the tablets) or it is the colouring of the tablets. I am quite sensitive to animals on my skin. I cannot visit people who have pets (except dogs).

Also the rash started a good 2 hours after taking the tablets in the morning, it was nearly gone the next day.

I also break out in hives eating anything artificially coloured or flavoured. I am allergic to a number of food stuffs as well like tomatoes, ginger, celery, kiwi. Any artificial sugars give me serious rashes, no diet type or sugar free drinks for me. Also dust and many cleaning chemicals and plastic gloves. I have been tested extensively in the past and the allergies were getting better over the years until I hit Peri-meni.

I am now on Elleste Duet. I am supposed to be on 2 mg. But the tablets are coloured bright orange, and the others a dark grey/brown. I know I have issues with red and brown colours.

So we are doubling up the 1mg tablets as they are white and the others a light green.

But it may well be the HRT itself. But we will just have to see how I get on with this lot.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »

Hurdity will probably know the exact science behind this but I would have thought that although the HRT is derived from horse urine that there will be nothing there in the end product that would trigger a horse allergy.
You can find out what colourings are in the pill by contacting the manufacturer. They should be able to give you details and then you can perhaps see if there is anything there that would cause your allergies.

Honeyb
x

BreadFruit

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »

My face rash is nearly gone now. Tomorrow I start on the green tablets. I hope I do not react to them.

But I do have more flushes, especially at night than being on Prempak. However its not bad and does not stop me from getting good sleep.

I also noticed that the leg cramp is no longer and my feet no longer feel extremely cold.

So overall I feel a lot better.