Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More or less estrogen?  (Read 9261 times)

sweettooth

More or less estrogen?
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

Just wondered if anyone could advise me perhaps if they have been in a similar position.  I was on estradot 50 patch until  a week ago and then have added a bit more by cutting a further quarter of another patch so now on aprox 62mcg - the reason i have done this is that i was not feeling bit down and irritable, headaches and falling asleep on the chair and wakening up with palpitations - same during the night.

I know it is only a week but i seem to have a heaviness on top of head almost low grade headache and feel a bit wired.  Do you think this is until i get used to the extra?

There were times on the 50 that i felt i was getting there and then bang! everything goes off balance again.  I am 52 CAN ANYONE WHO IS OLDER GIVE ME HOPE THAT THINGS DO SETTLE EVENTUALLY?

Any advice greatly appreciated x

Joyce

Re: More or less estrogen?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »

Did you ask if you could increase dosage if necessary?

I think the headache/palpitations are more related to too much oestrogen. I know when I had mine increased I had terrible palpitations.

Maybe a trip to your GP is in order, to discuss your symptoms fully & get the right treatment.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »

I felt really sick on too much oestrogen. I think if it does not settle soon you should reduce again. It's a case of listening to your body and if it's not accepting extra then listen and cut back.

Honeyb
x

sweettooth

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »

Tks Cuba and Honey, I have increased because of getting palps and not feeling right.  Since then i have a heavy head and feel a bit on edge.  Perhaps i do need to go lower than the 50 instead of up! 

If i still feel like this in a few days, perhaps i will try going down.  I thought that falling asleep and wakening with palps was a sign of needing more estrogen and then i looked into it and you can get the same with too much!! i suppose its a matter of trial and i probably would have been better to reduce first rather than increase. Thanks a lot it has made me think x

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »

I got terrible palpitations when my dosage was lowered, its def related to too little oestrogen.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »

Hi sweettooth

I seem to remember you had a hysterectomy in the past ( apol if I've remembered wrongly) but if so can't remember if you kept your ovaries?

If you didn't then it won't be too much oestrogen. 50 mcg is a medium dose and if you are post-menopausal barely brings you into the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle (more or less the lowest level). Sudden increases in estradiol (given artificially) seem to affect some women, even though that is only a tiny bit more in your case.

If you did keep your ovaries then you will still have oestrogen of your own so more difficult to judge ...

I am older - 60 - but I don't ever remember that headache feeling except if I sometimes left a patch on after I put a new one on - and then I would get that low grade headache - which I put down to a spike in oestrogen. For me 50 mcg is absolutely fine and no fluctuations but I have been on this dose most of the time from before I was post-meno through to now. Nor have I woken with palps or anything like that.

I would persevere on the higher dose if possible....

Hurdity x

sweettooth

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »

Tks Cassie.  Hurdity thank you, it does make sense what you say.  Yes i have had a hyster so do NOT have ovaries and yes i am very sensitive to increase or any other change in hormones! so yes it could be just a temporary thing until my body adjusts.  I did lower my estrogen back in the summer and stopped for a week and a half but felt dreadful.  I do hope the edginess and heads go soon.  Thanks for your useful reply x

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »

Hurdity good at remembering stuff like that, I'm dreadful.  ???

I don't have my ovaries but was terrible on Estradot 50. Awful palpitations. 37.5 was as much as I could stand, even though my flushes were under control more. Couldn't stand the jittery feeling.

We're all very different.

Rose

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »

That strange as I am fine on higher dose of oestrogen but add vagifem to mix and I get palpitations to.

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »

Here is a simple explanation about how estrogen and progesterone work in a woman's body there are about five pages

http://www.drlam.com/articles/estrogen_dominance.asp?page=1

To my mine keeping adding more estrogen on top of estrogen, to a body that is already protesting with palpitations, headaches ext.  is not a good idea, magnesium would help more.

During a woman's cycle before menopause she only produces about 20 to 25 mgs of progesterone after ovulation to balance her daily estrogen which has its dips and troughs.

If you read any woman's reproduction text book you will find this information.

HRT is not an exact science that is why so many women have problems with getting the right dosage and formula, I think less is more when it comes to endogenous  hormones especially when she is going through her own ebb and flow of hormones.

I expect I will have some criticism but you can't argue about  how the reproductive system works. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:45:30 AM by silverlady »

sweettooth

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »

Well, i did not feel so good today.  I had dull pressure top of head on and off through the day.  I felt uneasy without any thing to be uneasy about, just felt out of sorts completely!  Really not sure what to do and i know from experience that it is a matter of trial as one shoe does not fit all.

Thanks ladies for your kind replies and there is something to be learned from every post.  Silverlady thank you for your post which i found interesting, i am very progesterone intolerant be it natural or synthetic. I did take magnesium before and think it helped with sleep etc so thanks i shall get some.

I do know that while our hormones are still changing that it is impossible to get it right for some of us who are that bit more sensitive. What is confusing is that low estrogen can cause similar symptoms to high.  I am not looking for perfection but i am so fed up with NOT FEELING RIGHT :(  Will give it another while and then if i am still not good, i will try going in the opposite direction.

Really really appreciate everyone's replies xx

sweettooth

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

Hi everyone, just a little update on my dilemma of whether to increase or decrease estrogen.  Well i have not changed my patch since last Friday and my headaches have become less and less to not having any this past few days! My mood is very good - best in ages.  Now, i know i will probably crash at some stage soon but i will wait until flushes, mood etc are annoying and i will then only start with 25mcg patch and see how that goes.

I thought this may be helpful if anyone is in similar position.  My energy is much better too.  Will let you know how it goes.

Best of wishes ST xxx

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »

It does get better as you get older, at the moment I am not on my patch, no symptoms, no headaches, except when I wake up with a slight muggy head when the weather is overcast and its raining.

I do think about my bones and then put my 25 patch back on, leave it till it falls off, leave it off for a week or so and the put another one on.

I have had a hysterectomy so don't have to worry too much about a linear method.

There is a settling down for most women though some can get the odd flush now and then for the rest of their lives.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »

Hormones have to settle at some point I think. It might take many years but will happen eventually.
It's great you have levelled out SL. Gives us all hope.

Honeyb
x

sweettooth

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:12 AM »

Silverlady and Honeybun,

it really is quite unusual for me to have a few settled days never mind years! like other women on here i have suffered for years with hormone imbalance/meno and the impact that it can have on your wellbeing and life!  I am certainly not counting my chickens as i stopped estrogen last August and was good for a week and a half then i began to feel awful.  This time though if i do get a bit 'awful' i will begin with a low dose and see how that goes.

SLady, glad you are doing well without hrt and honeybun hormones definitely cause or make anxiety much worse so know that it will get better :)

ST xx thanks for your support
Pages: [1] 2