Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause - heavy periods  (Read 9290 times)

cakelady46

Perimenopause - heavy periods
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »

My main problem so far with peri is the irregular/heavy periods.  Over the last few years I've had times when I've gone a couple of months without a period, then they'll be regular again.

Over Christmas and New Year I had the worst period I'd had for a very long time.  It went on for two weeks and was very heavy.  In hindsight I should have probably visited the Dr but kept hoping it would stop.  I spent several days on the sofa, if I got up my heart would pound and I had no energy.

I've often suffered with anaemia over the years so started taking iron tablets fairly quickly but found some other advice online to help me feel better.  The first was to take ibuprofen, which is supposed to lessen the flow (not sure if this worked but my period did stop a day or so after starting to take it) and to drink more fluids and eat salty foods to replace the fluid and salts lost in the heavy period.

My main worry is that I'll have another period quickly but I'm hoping it may be months before I have another.  I'm due a smear test but I'm unsure when to book it for because I have no idea what my cycle is going to do next!

Another problem, which doing a search on is how I found this site, is a lot of clear discharge throughout the month.  Its not irritating or anything and is more an annoyance than anything.

Hurdity

Re: Perimenopause - heavy periods
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »

Hi cakelady

:welcomemm:

Unfortunately heavy periods are a feature of the peri-menopause for many women and of course they do become irregular and unpredictable which is very annoying.

Good to hear you are taking iron to prevent anaemia.

There is a good article on this site called "Perils of the Perimenopause" which explains what's going on in your body at this time - which is interesting.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

I doubt there is any need to worry about a discharge if there are no other symptoms, and it is not offensive, and you are not itching. Many of us long for the days when we had a natural healthy discharge - once menopause kicks in we need local oestrogen to keep things healthy as it all dries up!!!

Re the smear - just make the appointment - you can always postpone it if your period arrives.

As always anything that really causes you concern then do have a word with your GP.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  who does the smear tests in your Surgery, the Practice Nurses do them for us so speak to them about your symptoms.  Heavy bleeding can be treated with a drug ……… your PN should be able to reassure you.

have you read the menus, left of screen?

lovesflorida

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:41 PM »

Hi There!

Im also pissed off with the heavy/too frequent bleeding!
Was sent for scan by GP as she thought the excessive bleeding may have been due to the cyst on my left ovary enlarging but scan showed cyst had dispersed so back to square one!
Am now anaemic from the heavy bleeding and the iron tablets are making my IBS awful-so its a toss up with either  feeling awful from no iron or feeling awful running to the loo all day!!!!
But on the funny side (or maybe worrying side) im now having scatty symptoms -my husband sent me a txt this morning to say that in my rush to get out to work in a hurry this morning i put my makeup bag in the washing up bowl with my cup and plate so now have a soaking wet makeup bag drying out! ARRRRRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!

cakelady46

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies.  Sorry for the delay in replying, I'd had no energy since the heavy period and was trying to work (only problem being self-employed).

Thanks for the links, I'll have a good look at them.

Yes the Practice Nurse does smear tests at our surgery, typically I booked my appointment for this week but now I'm showing signs of my period starting again (ggrrr) so looks like I'll be postponing it. I will definitely have a chat to her about my symptoms.

I feel for you lovesflorida, Dr always tells me to take 3 iron tablets a day for 3 months but I find the side effects too much (though I don't suffer from IBS so can only imagine how bad you feel) so usually end up taking only 1 or 2.   The make-up bag tale did make me smile though, I haven't done anything like that YET but the time will come I know lol.

Tigger99

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »

Do periods also get lighter in perimenopause? Mine are most certainly lasting longer and the break inbetween them is much shorter but they are lighter not heavier. I finished my last period approx. 6 days ago and when I went to the loo this morning it was like my period was starting again. Feeling so fed up with this.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »

Hi  Tigger99 
I'm afraid erratic bleeding/periods are typical in peri meno along with the flushes, headaches etc. Sometimes the bleeds can be heavier whilst other women (like me) just had lighter periods that were longer and all over the place.
See you doctor and discuss your options re: HRT.  Blood tests should show whether your FSH level is high and you are therefore in peri meno.
Good luck  DG x