Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Mothers  (Read 19807 times)

Joyce

Re: Mothers
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »

Before having kids I made own stuff a lot. Hubby bought me sewing machine, which has gone to sewing machine heaven now.  :D

My mum & siblings used to make loads.  My mum made  my wedding dress from a Mary Quant pattern. I still have dress, though it would never fit now. My daughter tried it once. She said I must have been unbelievably thin as it wouldn't fasten. She was about 16 and skinny. It would have been about 6 inches too short though.

All I do now is knitting for wee ones. But eldest one is very fussy, so don't even try for her now as she would turn her nose up, no doubt. I did make her a ballet cardigan, can't really go wrong with that as they've never changed style over the years.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »

Before having kids I made own stuff a lot. Hubby bought me sewing machine, which has gone to sewing machine heaven now.  :D

My mum & siblings used to make loads.  My mum made  my wedding dress from a Mary Quant pattern. I still have dress, though it would never fit now. My daughter tried it once. She said I must have been unbelievably thin as it wouldn't fasten. She was about 16 and skinny. It would have been about 6 inches too short though.

All I do now is knitting for wee ones. But eldest one is very fussy, so don't even try for her now as she would turn her nose up, no doubt. I did make her a ballet cardigan, can't really go wrong with that as they've never changed style over the years.

The trick with knitted stuff is to buy really nice yarn and look at what clothes and accessories for kids are in the shops so you get an idea of whats on trend.  Lots of my friends are having new grandchildren and I've noticed that all the young mums are getting them photographed professionally and they get them wearing all these cutesy hats with big flowers etc.  I have just finished crocheting my niece's daughter (18 months) a lovely red hat with green leaves and a stalk on top which looks like a big strawberry. Mum approves and loves it!

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »

Wool is so expensive these days. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the ready made thing in the first place. I enjoy knitting though and like to have something on the go.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »

Charity/vintage shops have wool ………… as well as old patterns

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:37:59 AM »

My daughter and her partner fill me in awe with their creativity. Being self employed has been a financial struggle. Last year, they made a bag for out of recycled material for me. He is a wizard with the sewing machine ( need a tent no problem!) and she sewed on a collage. I love it.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »

Drive away awning?  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »

Drive away awning what  ???

That's what you gave your mother, or is that what she gave you.

Honeyb
x

Scampi

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

I think CLKD wants Ju Ju's daughter to make her a drive-away awning for the camper!  They are a free-standing awning that you pitch and can leave on site while you go off visiting for the day.  It's then ready for you when you get back, providing extra living space and saving your pitch into the bargain!!!

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »

Aaaa, I knew what it was but did not get the connection  :o

Maybe Pennyfarthing could knit her one  ;D

Honeyb
x

littleminnie

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »

She will need to find waterproof wool.  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 01:54:42 PM »

I often wondered how sheep keep dry  ;D  ;D

Just shows the state of my mind.  :o

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »

:thankyou:  Scampi .......  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »

I often wondered how sheep keep dry  ;D  ;D

Well, apparently what happens, is that the top layer of fleece forms a waterproof layer which prevents rain from getting through to the soft under wool.

When it is raining really heavily, sheep stand very very still, so the top layer of fleece remains intact.

It's true I've seen it, just out of the kitchen window this morning........
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:18:02 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »

Wool is full of lanolin which causes water to run off it  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »

Mothers - Honeybun, seems your sister has thrown a spanner at you again?  She'll get over it, your Mum has probably pushed her buttons too  ::).  Well done on putting down the 'phone, gives her some thinking time! 

Stick to what you know.  You have had a stressful 3 months and there will be some winding down time for you and your husband.  You do enough.  If your Mum wants her food cooked differently then arrange for Wiltshire Farm Foods to deliver and introduction pack and get your sister to cook  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5