Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Contraceptive pill V HRT  (Read 5325 times)

Maggies

Contraceptive pill V HRT
« on: December 15, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »

Hey ladies

Can I ask a question??? Saw on here that someone had started the combined pill and come off HRT...I have tried 4 different HRT's now and still struggling with low mood around ovulation and menstruation. Would the pill help instead???

Desperate to be on more of an even keel throughout the month. Also  how much is Dr Currie's fee for email advice?? might try that too....

Thanks for reading

Lyn:)

Dancinggirl

Re: Contraceptive pill V HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »

It's only £15 to do an email question to Heather Currie - well worth it.
Tip:  do give a good outline of your situation e.g. your age, health issues that are not meno related, any other drugs you are taking, key symptoms etc.
Good luck  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »

Hi maggies

Where are you in meno and how old are you and what are your general symptoms for which you want to take HRT?

The oestrogen in the pill is always synthetic as I understand, as are some of the HRT types. Which are the ones you have tried and how long did you try them for?

Most women feel at their best around ovulation because that is when oestrogen is at its highest - pms symptoms tend to start following ovulation due to the rise in progesterone and the fall in oestrogen. With HRT you take the same amount of oestrogen all the time so this should even out your mood - although you may get a dip following withdrawal of progesterone - or if you are progesterone intolerant, you may feel bad for most of the two weeks you are taking the progestogen part.

With the pill you have a pill free week, so this is inadvisable for menopause I would have thought since you could experience a much bigger drop in hormones (and therefore dip in mood) with this.

A lot of how you feel will depend on how much of your own cycle and therefore your own hormones you still have.

Hurdity x

Maggies

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »

Hi Hurdity

Thanks for your advice. I am now 50 and had the Mirena removed in January 2013....alright on it before then but had low mood, wobbling , etc at the time so thought it was the coil. Since then I crashed in Feb had to start AD', lack of support at home, and hard to mange teenagers, my job doesn't help too. So had hot flushes, insomnia, and tiredness for some time since about 18 months ago, not knowing it was peri meno! ...DOH

Now find I have tried Oestogen patch Evorel, allergic to them. Elleste 1mg and 2mg and now tried Femstron......horrid on that one....sick, headaches etc etc, switched back then too Elleste 2mgs and slightly better, at ovulation Day 8 this time wobbled and always at menstruation for a good few days....I feel like I just recover to have to face it all again!...Have migraines, essential tremor ( propananol) and had uterine cancer scare this year.....so thinking of Mirena and a small dose of Oestrogen ( had this before) as I think I may not be liking the progesterone orally....have a friend whose sister in a Gynacologist and also seeing the nurse later today....hope for interuption to ovulation and menstruation to make me feel better xxx

Suzi Q

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »

I didnt take HRT and I went over at 37
I too the PILL mini pill and later combined with Ovestin
When I went on to Vagifem my GP took me off the Mini pill he said I didnt need it as I was 55 time I was off it
Hope this helps a bit I was tickety boo xxxxxxxxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »

Hi again Maggies

If the Mirena suited you before then I agree why not try it again? You definitely need oestrogen to deal with the menopausal symptoms you describe.

If you allergic to the adhesive in the patch you could try a different one - Estradot are much smaller so less of an area to cover. I'm not sure if they have different adhesives in them - maybe someone else knows? Otherwise there is always gel which is the most friendly re side effects - ie doesn't go through the stomach and liver, and no adhesive. I haven't used it myself though.

As your cycle gets weaker you will gradually notice less of a difference after ovulation ie as your own progesterone levels rise and fall. Theoretically very little Mirena gets absorbed systemically but there could be sufficient getting through to dampen the effect of your own cycle?

So with the gel (or other oestrogen) and the Mirena - you will be giving yourself a constant dose of oestrogen and progestogen. I presume you didn't get migraines on the Mirena?

It's a tricky time going through peri-menopause so hope you managed to find an HRT type that will help you through it.

Hurdity x

Maggies

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »

Hi ladies

I have agreed to have Mirena fitted on 17th January with an extra top up of Oestogen to balance me out. ::) ..... so onwards we go xxxxx
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:44:06 PM by Maggies »

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »

Maggies daughter will come round may take a while but she will
New year new start in all ways YES sad too Im sure
But make goals maybe a holiday in the summer with friemds
Or a Trafalgar typoe trip I went on one on my owm
My aloness lasted 30 mins had a bal its important to have a goal for
Not just getting a new place thats important but u also need FUN
Love and HUgs Suzi Q xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx