Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Eldest GD - skin problems  (Read 7051 times)

Joyce

Eldest GD - skin problems
« on: December 12, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »

I wonder if any of you can help. DD & her partner have discovered that  their eldest is suffering from dermatitis on her face. GP kept saying it was impetigo, but nothing was working. Of course they started looking things up and discovered that dermatitis can be caused by the sodium laureth sulfate in soaps, toothpaste etc. They have been searching for products which don't contain the foaming agent. They have found some, mainly organic, but not much choice. I said I'd have a look, but not really too sure. I thought maybe somebody on here would have an idea. GDs skin is slowly improving, thankfully. GP was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Kept on giving them steroid creams etc, which as you can understand DD was not happy about.

honeybun

Re: Eldest GD - skin problems
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:03:52 PM »

My two are both allergic to sodium lauryl sulphate. They cause terrible mouth ulcers.
It's the stuff they use in floor cleaners....very caustic.
Sensodyn gentle whitening is SLS free. Not sure about shampoo or soap though. Have they looked at the simple products.
You could always get your daughter to phone the Jan de Vries helpline and they can advise and also post stuff out. They have a shop near us and I know they do lots of body care things.
Poor little soul. I thought my two would outgrow the allergy but no such luck. It's not widely known about but SLS is evil stuff.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »

Thanks for that HB. Her skin has always been sensitive, but it's getting worse. It's her face that's worst. Mainly round her mouth. They've changed her toothpaste, not sure to what though. Going to have look in town tomorrow. Always our local health shop, but it is extremely expensive. Maybe H&B will help me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »

Simple products might be worth having a look at. 

Could it be  a milk allergy? if so, go onto the goat sites for advice and ideas, they send products World wide for those with allergies.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:27:30 AM by CLKD »

lily

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

I have sensitive skin all over and get dermol lotion on prescription to wash with, it is fragrance free and is just like a moisturiser.