Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Baffled Newbie!  (Read 2134 times)

Me40

Baffled Newbie!
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »

Hello Ladies!

I'm not sure if things have started but think so.
I'm 40, had my first child at 36 and 2nd at 39.
Never got a period after my 2nd, I breast fed for 6 months and went on the combined pill shortly after stopping.
Had some break through bleeding so came off the pill to see if it settled. First period was very light and dark brown. Bled for a few days on and off for about 2 weeks but really light and had whole days with nothing.
This month so far the same....
Had blood tests and scans but everything normal.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Taz2

Re: Baffled Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »

Hi Me40 -  :welcomemm:

Your symptoms do sound similar for peri-menopause (the years before menopause) but they could also just be caused by the hormonal upheaval your body has gone through during pregnancy and then breastfeeding. Have you got any other symptoms or is it just missing periods?

You will find loads of help and support on here whatever the reason!

Taz x

Me40

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »

My boobs feel a bit tender, a bit like when you're pregnant, I'm tired all the time, my vagina just doesn't feel right, almost itchy type feeling.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »

Hello and Welcome Me40
Your description of symptoms sounds exactly like mine, only I was in my mid 30s - I had my kids at age 31 & 33). I started getting very long, very light periods with very painful boobs before hand. I was sent to have a D&C which resulted in my periods stopping completely. About six months later, and still no periods, I had a blood test that showed I was peri-meno and I started on HRT.  Blood tests are not always accurate but it would be worth going back for another test in 2-3 months if things carry on this way.
Good luck.  DG x

andius

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:18 AM »

Well, this may not be much help but thought I would comment!  We are all different....I had normal and increasingly heavy periods until age 53 although some symptoms occured before then!!!

I would wonder if the BC's have diminished your hormones such that your body is still trying to recover.
I had some low estrogen type VA symptoms when I breast fed my last child 23 years ago....so VA symptom-like changes can occur with low estrogen for any reason.

My 2Oish daughter took a break from BC's a couple of years ago and didn't have normal periods on her own for several months. The doc gave her some progestin to stimulate a withdrawal bleed which worked and she has been normal since....and she had not recently delivered or breastfed.

Just some food for thought....it may not be menopause yet.

Andius