Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New here really need help  (Read 1941 times)

bev567901

New here really need help
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »

Hi everyone I really hope I can get some help. I am 50 coming up to 51. In Feb this year I had my first ever early period I was shocked. Things carried on being irregular but then I started getting palpitations, anxiety, withdrawing from my friends, feelings of being overwhelmed then I didn't want to go far from home & started panic attacks. Back & forwards to docs & got no where. The worst symptom was nausea. Then in September the nausea was so bad I literally felt pregnant only with quads, non of the nausea meds worked & I stopped going out as I have an upper denture & I could not get it in anymore as I was gagging just like you would being pregnant. My youngest children are 8 & 9 so not going out is a big deal. Finally 3 weeks ago I was prescribed Zoloft (sertraline), diazepam & sleeping tablets!  I still cannot get the denture in. I had a blood test that came back normal for hormones but I can't accept that the drugs I have are a sticking plaster & I need hormones. I have always had bad periods they make me sickly & anxious for a day or so but this is nothing like that it is akin to pregnancy. Should I go private?  I haven't worked for months as I run a little business from home so I am not sure if we can even afford that. Currently my husband does school runs, shopping etc so I am so lucky to have him. I am so desperate to get back to normal. I have been writing a journal & there is no wonder I feel poorly when you see what is produced each period but there should be something to stop the nausea surely. I used to take stronger painkillers but with all these other drugs I daren't take anything other than paracetomal.  Here's hoping someone has gone through this & out the other side. How long does it last for goodness sake!!!!  :'( Bev xx

Kathleen

Re: New here really need help
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »

Hello Bev.
So sorry to hear you are suffering from this horrible menopause mularky. I know exactly how you feel, the not wanting to go far from home, feeling overwhelmed and withdrawn, even the gagging, all very familiar to me.
You mention blood tests and ladies here will tell you that there are notoriously unreliable as your hormone levels will change hour by hour, apparantly GPs are supposed to be guided by symptoms when diagnosing the menopause.
As for HRT I'm not an expert but many ladies on the forum are and I'm sure some will be along shortly to advise you. Hang in there, you are not alone!
Take care.
K.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »

:welcomemm:

I would have a look at the menu left of screen and see how many symptoms you recognise. Print it off and take it to an approachable GP. Tell them you want to try HRT. Blood tests are pretty useless really as your hormone levels fluctuate so much in peri..
So many GPs give anti depressants for meno symptoms instead of treating appropriately with HRT. You may well benefit from both but HRT should be the first choice.
You can have an e-mail consultation with Dr Currie....check the home page.
You may have to fight to get the correct medication but it could transform your life.
I started HRT at 49 and it gave me some quality of life back.

Honeyb
X

andius

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:57:56 AM »

You might try some Maalox or Mylanta.....I used that a lot to get through the nausea of pregnancy which is hormone mediated.  Not sure what the equivalent is in your "neck of the woods" but you can google it and see.  You can likely buy it without a prescription wherever you are.  It just might work until you get to a doctor that can help you properly!