Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Evorel Conti 50ug patches - some questions  (Read 3625 times)

Badga

Evorel Conti 50ug patches - some questions
« on: October 04, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »

Good morning ladies.

I am back on Conti after an unsuccessful episode on Estradot/utrogestan (cannot tolerate the Utrogestan).

At first, when I was on Conti the effect on my energy levels was insant, and the hot flushes went about 3 weeks later.  I had so much energy and felt wonderful.  However, due to my 5-day per week strenuous exercise routine, I was having problems with the patches sticking.  Even so, my conultant has out me back on them, as I have no side effects with them.

The questions to which I can get no conclusive answers to from either my Consultant or the manufacturer (Jenssen) are:

1) can your menopausal symptoms return after a period is using HRT?  The reason I ask this is that I am now once more exhausted and depressed and am not sure, but feel the 'hotness' returning.
2) is there an optimum place to stick them within the region indicate on the patient info leaflet for optimum absorption?  I have been using the top of the thigh, rather than my abdomen, as I have less body fat there for the hormones to get through.
3) does sweat underneath the patch from strenuous exercise reduce the absorption, ie., does the glue have to be 'stick' to you?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Evorel Conti 50ug patches - some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

It sounds like your body is adjusting to the change of HRT.
I was just commenting on another thread that it is so confusing about the differences in dosage between the various HRTs.  I also believe hormone levels continue to change even post meno.
Can't comment about patches sticking as I've never used them successfully but others may give you advice about this. I'm sure heavy exercise & sweating could effect how well they stick.
DG x

Hurdity

Re: Evorel Conti 50ug patches - some questions
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »

Hi there

Just to confirm that levels of estrogen continue to decline from the date of the last menstrual period, for the next 2-3 years and then stabilise at a low post-menopausal level. Therefore it is likely that symptoms could begin to worsen at this time (ie after 2-3 years).

For anyone interested in this there is a paper in Climacteric about the Stages in Reproductive Ageing which goes into all of this. The link should hopefully take you to it:
http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/email_downloads/2012_02_16_1773491/straw10.pdf

Badga - Re patches sticking, sweat and hormones. The hormones are contained in the adhesive so if sweat causes them to come unstuck inside the patch even if it appears to be stuck round the edges - then this will reduce absoprtion. That is why some women ( including me) prefer Estradot because they are a very small strong patch and don't seem to come unstuck (except as normal with all patches - slightly frayed around the ages when it's time to change).

Re feeling exhuasted and depressed - see above - how long post-meno are you - your hormone levels could have dropped or it could be a sticking problem. Presumably if you tolerated norethisterone before this wouldn't change? How long ago were you on it before though? If your skin is gradually thinning maybe more norethisterone is being absorbed and you are noticing the side effects?

Continuous progesterone can have a depressive effect on some women. Since it interferes with the oestrogen receptors in the womb lining to prevent oestrogen stimulating growth and build-up, my logic suggests that it could also interfere with the oestrogen receptors elsewhere, and interefere with some of the beneficial effects of oestrogen on the body - but I haven't looked into this at all!

I stick my patches to my bum cheeks and have never had a problem. These are covered with fat of varying thickness in most women!!! I haven't looked into any effects of the different application sites on absorption!

Hurdity x