Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Migraines  (Read 3863 times)

lizzog

Migraines
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »

I've always had headaches over one eye just before periods, but since going into the meno they seem to have got worse. I've had a few occular migraines.
This morning I woke up and had a weird visual disturbance which made me feel confused and very anxious. It lasted about 15 minutes, then I felt very tired and then had a headache over one eye.
I spoke to my GP as I was concerned about migraines and having the mirena and hrt patch, but she has given me some meds for migraines to help me cope if I get any more episodes.
Has anyone else had any similar experiences?
What did they find helped?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Migraines
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »

These are awful.  Headaches can be tiring and scarey.  Did you get an 'aura' before hand?  I am sure there are threads here, do a search?

:hug:

milly

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »

yes!

I used to get these visual disturbances every month before the menopause.

They then stopped for a few years, I then had 2 a month apart in 2011, and then nothing until another one 4 weeks ago!..which I think may be linked to a TMJ that I am suffering with at the moment.

They are scary, but seem to pass after 30 minutes or so and leave me with a dull muggy headache.

I was told it was hormones that were responsible.

lizzog

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

Yes I did get an aura, although wasn't sure at the time. I woke up, felt odd, had pixelated, jumpy vision and felt hot. This passed and I've been left with a headache over one eye.
To add to the loveliness I've now got rectal pain, so I'm even more convinced  its hormones  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »

:hug:

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »

Hi lizzog

Did you say you actually do have a Mirena?

This is what it says under the patient info:

Conditions under which Mirena can be used with caution

Should any of the following conditions exist or arise for the first time during treatment, removal of the system should be considered:

- Migraine with aura

- Unusually severe or unusually frequent headache

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1829/spc

Migrianes are unpleasant and debilitating - and given the info above I would suggest you might like to have it removed and use an alternative progestogen such as progesterone (Utrogestan).

Not sure where you are in meno but I started to develop migraines ( non-aura) when I was peri-menopausal, and in your case the progestin maybe could be exacerbating this?

Hurdity x

lizzog

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:35:02 AM »

I had two ocular migraines before the mirena then two after so my GP thinks it's more likely to be oestrogen and has reduced my patch. I had my bcp stopped a while ago because of a migraine, but as usual she said the hormones released are minute compared with a bcp and will leave mirena  :-\
I assume I'm perimenopausal still but with mirena my periods have just about stopped.
My GP has said because of mirena and hrt no point doing bloods as they won't be accurate.