Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello and advice on patches please  (Read 2141 times)

Clara

Hello and advice on patches please
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »

Hello everybody
I'm a returning newbie, was on here years ago but can't remember my log in details from way back then.

I'm in my 60's and have been on HRT since a total hysterectomy at 45.  I came off it for about a year after the big trial (2003?) but went back on it again due to reduced quality of life, mainly horrendous insomnia.  I was originally on tablets but have been on the lowest dose patches, Evorel 25, for a few years now.  My GP is happy to prescribe it for me, thank goodness, so long as I'm aware of the risks/benefits etc.

I've been fine with the patches,very occasional flushes but nothing I can't deal with and worth persevering with to be able to stay on it on the lowest dose at my age.

However I'm now finding that the patches don't always stay stuck down and I've been needing to use more than the prescribed 2 a week.   I've resorted to using micropore tape over the top but seem to remember reading somewhere that this decreases the effectiveness of the patches.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Also is it really necessary to stick the patches on bottom, hip or thigh?  I know the reasoning about putting them below waist level but what about putting them on the lower leg for example?  Is there some reason why I shouldn't do that? 

I hope someone can help!

Clara

Hurdity

Re: Hello and advice on patches please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »

Hi Clara

I use Estradot and have done for over 6 years - these are very small and stick well. Not sure why yours are no longer sticking so well but I rarely have to replace one. Have you changed products you are using on your skin or style of clothes? - eg low waist jeans I sometimes pull down without undoing zip which brings off the patch if I forget!

Re placing the patch - It is important for them to be nowhere near the breasts but I can't imagine it would matter about the lower leg - although perhaps the skin is not so thin there so absorption mught be less. Also the marks would show! Tucked away on bum cheeks - only one person sees them!!

I can't see that micropore would make any difference - although perhaps a small amount of the hormone could leak out into the micropore adhesive. Also maybe you wouldn't be able to tell so easily whether the patch underneath had come away from your skin or not, if you see what I mean?

By the way I am 60

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »

If you are unhappy with patches then you could try gel.

I am surprised that Evoril are not sticking. Perhaps you have a faulty batch. Mine stick like, well like glue and leave horrid sticky bits. As long as it's below the waist then I guess it does not matter. Winter is coming and you won't have bare legs for a while. Hope you get it sorted out.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »

I'm on Estradot 25 and they are very good stickers. Only a couple of times have they come off.

jo61

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:28:46 AM »

cubagirl can I ask what if any progesterone do you use with your estradot 25 please

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 06:42:11 AM »

I'm on oestrogen only, sorry. But others on here will be able to help with that side of it.