Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just need to vent.  (Read 11320 times)

honeybun

Just need to vent.
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »

I have had an argument by text with my older sister and I just need to get it off my chest.
We are normally very careful not to fall out. To be honest she is a bit wary of arguing with me now because I have been practising standing up for myself. She is 13 years older and always bossed me around and for the sake of peace I let her.
She is on her holidays at the moment. We each have our days that we see to mother. I have been asking for a swap next week as hubby has a hospital appointment. It's complicated but she was being less than helpful. Eventually I got it sorted but I could tell it was not suiting her. I also told her I was not going on my usual Sunday as that would mean for two weeks I will have been at mum's every other day and I am starting to struggle.

She then sent me a very nasty text about missing a day. This is her third holiday this year and I cover for her while she is away. I can't believe that she was so narky over one day.
I think she owes me an apology but I will never get it.

Sorry for the moan but I am upset and angry in equal measure.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

Re: Just need to vent.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »

You vent away HB. What is it with families eh? Such a shame when our siblings do things like that. It leaves a bad taste doesn't it?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »

Honeybun - she has got to you and you mustn't allow her to.

It isn't easy I know but you have to try.  I go to yoga and am also getting into Mindfulness (I recommended a book on here a few months ago) and I have already learnt such a lot about dealing with situations like this.

You need to become a tortoise  ;D and learn to withdraw.  You know what you said to her is right and you know you've been perfectly fair.   You've said your piece to her so withdraw now.  She's the one with the problem!   Don't allow her to make you feel bad because you've done nothing to deserve this, you really haven't.  You don't need this, so put your head back in your shell! ;)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »

Remember the old adage " you choose your friends not your relations".

Try not to let it wind you up as  you are the one who is suffering not her even though she is in the wrong.

Maybe don't be so obliging when she next says she is going on holiday ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »

I never see my sister because we fight: physically: she can wind me up on the phone or even in a letter  >:(

You do as you see fit!  It's hard work for both of you dealing with your Mum ........ perhaps your sister was stressed at coming back after her holiday?

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »

Stressed or not, there is no need to be so unpleasant. We have not yet spoken, bit of a stand off. Sad thing is I am enjoying the peace. I won't call her and I suspect she won't call me so who knows what will happen.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »

Absolutely no need.  How long will the stand off last I wonder  :-X  ............ is it something you actually welcome?

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »

No I don't welcome it at all as I really don't like conflict. I have had more on my mind at the moment to be honest and can't be bothered with fuss over nothing.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

"This is her third holiday this year and I cover for her while she is away. I can't believe that she was so narky over one day"

Honeyb it might be worth texting her with the above, it says it all.
Also, point out you need a bit of a break

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »

I did and that's what has caused the problem. You are not allowed to disagree with my sister. She is the one who is always right.  ::)

I am having a week off next week. Well four days to be exact. She did not bother to ask me my plans so does not know what I intend to do or when I will be there. It's hopeless trying to tell mum because she does not retain anything now.
I will write it in mum's little note book and it will be a nice surprise for her.

Really can't be bothered with her self centeredness anymore.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »

Well Done YOU!

The more you say 'no' the easier it will become  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »

Like CLKD says - Well done

Not sure about this but, is your sister a tiny bit like your mum?
I may be wrong................

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »

Well done. Stick to your guns. She'll soon twig.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »

My sister is Hyacinth Bucket even down to the church bit. Mother is spoiled but sis is bossy given half a chance. They are not much alike really except in that they both like their own way.

Is it any wonder I want to run away half the time  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

We have a spare bed - it's under a lot of clutter/birthday gifts/wrapping paper - or there's the camper  ;)
Pages: [1] 2