Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Some advice please  (Read 2099 times)

flanker

Some advice please
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

Hi,
Im 49 and feeling confused by all the menopause stuff around. For the past year my periods have been going all over the place and i feel hot and have racing heart from time to time. This in turn can make me feel anxious, and generally not feeling good. Over xmas i had no period for 3 months then it came for 6 weeks, very heavy on and off, then went for 3 months, came again for 6 weeks, and this is the way it seems to be going. In the past i have used noreistherone to delay periods if going on holiday for example, and doctor suggested i use this when bleeding. It didnt stop bleeding but did ease it up. After seeing him yesterday he has suggested medroxprogesterone, but after reading about it the side effects sound awful.
I would like some advice please on how i can tackle this in natural ways as i really dont like taking tablets. Can anyone suggest foods, and natural remedies which have worked for them and if you know anything about natural progesterone, thanks Heather

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Some advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »

:welcomemm:  there is a list of menus, left of screen that you may find useful.

The search button can take you to various thread subjects on the Forum.  You will find lots of issues if you type in specific queries.

Have a browse round.  Your body is doing what comes naturally and sometimes chemical intervention is the only way to ease symptoms.  'Natural' isn't always the safest, most assured nor suitable for some ladies ;-)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Have you any other meno symptoms. Many of us have had irregular and heavy periods in peri meno. You could always ask your GP to prescribe HRT. This would help regulate when you bleed.

There really are no natural supplements that will help regulate your period or how heavy it is.
If you did not want full HRT then a lot of our ladies use the mirena coil. It would stop your bleeds completely.

Honeyb
X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »

Hi flanker

:welcomemm: from me too.

Unfortunately heavy and/or irregular bleeding is often a feature of peri-menopause. I understand this is often caused by anovulatory cycles which start to occur as the ovaries start to decline - this means that no progesterone is produced and the womb lining cotninues to build up. There is an interesting article on this site about this time in our lives.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Natural (bioidentical) progesterone is available on NHS as Utrogestan ( see green menu on left - http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php) but is usually prescribed as the progestogen part of HRT to protect the womb lining.

Interesting idea though to use it for slowing down the bleeding of heavy periods during peri-meno. As honeybun says the Mirena is used for this but there is no reason why you shouldn't use Utrogestan for this. Mirena acts locally and the usual method of giving Utrogestan is orally but several of us use it vaginally as part of HRT - you wouldn't need to tell the doc this. However if you have an active sex life then you wouldn't want to use it vaginally all the time I doubt.... so orally might be better for continuous use, but there may be some side effects eg tiredness.

Another alternative is Cyclogest a waxy pessary which can also be used as a suppository thus getting over the problem - this also contains bio-identical progesterone. It is not widely prescribed by GPs though....

As honeybun says if/when you have other symptoms and as oestrogen starts to decline you might want to think about full HRT.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »

And me! :)
Dyan x