Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello, and does this sound familiar?  (Read 1533 times)

Fintimara

• First Flush
Hello, and does this sound familiar?
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »

Hi Everyone

Having read this forum for several months I thought it was about time I said hello and joined in.

I am 53 and have been having many symptoms over the past few years, noticeably worse in the last nine months or so. My periods are lighter than they used to be - and arrive anything between every three months and every three weeks.

I get terrible joint aches and pains - particularly in knees, ankles, hips, shoulders and most recently one elbow. I work in retail so am on my feet all day which doesn't help. By the end of the day I can barely move and am sure I present a comical sight as I hobble to the station to get home.

I have had issues with ectopic heartbeats in the past, but these have got significantly worse in the last nine months. I absolutely hate them and find them very scary.

In the last few weeks I have felt queasy and headachy at times, and have had IBS type symptoms. I have had these in the past, but again much worse recently.

As if this wasn't enough, I don't sleep well. No problem dropping off but I wake about 2 am and then just can't get comfortable and toss and turn the rest of the night. I'm shattered!

I consider myself very lucky I don't get hot flushes or night sweats, although I do get very hot at night sometimes and the duvet goes on and off as I try to get comfortable.

Does any of this sound familiar?  I'm hoping this is all due to perimenopause as if it isn't I'm definitely falling apart!

Joyce

Re: Hello, and does this sound familiar?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »

Nope you're not falling apart. All sounds too familiar I'm afraid. Think most of us on here can relate to your symptoms in varying degrees. Sleep is my main one at the moment, or rather the lack of it. Thankfully I don't work, so can just about cope with my zombie mornings. I'm on HRT so flushing isn't too much of a problem, but do remember when I had HRT break, that duvet was on & off all night long. I would alternate between chills & sweats which is exhausting.

LizeeeH

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:48:37 AM »

Hello and welcome ;)
ahhhhhhhhhh the "hobble" how wonderful we look hobbling around like an old witch! ;D yes joking apart I have ALL your symptoms apart from its BOTH my elbows....the sleepless nights really get to me especially as Im self employed and have to function like a human being the next day :-X

The dr's wont give me HRT....that's probably b/cos I said I still ride my bike 15 miles every day so they obviously think Im ok but its just me pushing myself and not giving in to this horrid time in my life! and to be honest I never really wanted HRT :-\

Anyway welcome to the mad house :o :o

pansypotter

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »

hello to you, I am new myself, and like you have a lot of these  awful feelings. However I don't have any joint pains, but I did a few years ago when GP prescribed STATINS for cholesterol.Are you on these? Since I stopped taking them it took a while, but all muscle pain went away.
The menopause throws up similar things for us all but some worse than others. You have my sympathy, as I don't have a job anymore, and you have to cope with one.