Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lost confidence & memory  (Read 12886 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Lost confidence & memory
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »

I can't read the 24 hour clock tonight  :-\ ......... don't know whether it's gone 9.00 p.m. or after 10.00 <sigh>
A couple of weeks ago I couldn't remember which was the hot tap in our bathroom basin  :D

Elena

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »

I get the tap thing too.  The other week my bath was full to almost overflowing as I couldnt get it cold enough...eventually realised I'd left the hot tap running instead of the cold  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »

I did that with the cold tap about 4 weeks ago ...........  :-\

ann123

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »

I am same as honeybun, I just can't get the correct word out. I end up acting words out.... It's not funny!!!!

Suzi Q

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »

Recently I have been dreading social scenes more and more. Mostly because I am unable to hold an interesting conversation anymore because of my inability to recall names and places and dates.
I feel a totally boring. My husband loves the social scene and I am totally embarrassed to explain what has happened to me (he is younger than me).

I also find spending time on my own quite enjoyable (I expect for all the wrong reasons).

I can't see how this is going to get better. My 90 year old father remembers more than me!
Any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing this? I am at my wits end.

Thanks
Rebecca

KNoiw what peole love being asked to talk about themselves this is a trick I learnt from Hubbie
Im hopeless at names even after 2 years of seeing same peop;le monthly I still cant recall them
I hate parties and bi gatherings where I cant feel confortable so I learnt a simple thing which has got me thorugh
I say and what do you do and they reply then I say OH and where do you work live how many kids the more questions simple ones you ask the chattier they become about themselves that way they tink gee isbt she nioce
AND 2 you dont have to talk yourself its amazing how much people will talk when given a chance
Dont not go to stuff this is life it will get better you wont think so but it will hiding yurself away does sod all OK x

dylan

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 08:08:07 PM »

i can relate . i wonder why , your memory becomes so bad . i find i have too write , things down :(  its horrible , as if there , isnt enough , with the way you feel ,to put up with . :'(

Joyce

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 08:52:24 AM »

My memory is fine but my ability to get the correct word out of my mouth is another matter entirely.

Friday evening I was ordering Chinese carry out over the phone. The main order was fine as I was reading off the menu, then I fancied some prawn crackers. But could I remember the name of them? Frantically searching menu to help my loss of memory. Poor chap at the other end kept saying "Sorry can't hear you."  ???  Then I said prawn crisps, again "Sorry" from him.  Finally I remembered. Then sent hubby to collect.  ;D

Elena

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

Ooops!   ;D

Good move sending hubby :)

But you see,  you can LAUGH about it whereas the OP is finding it all very upsetting.  Sometimes I can laugh too, and sometimes I find it frustrating, embarrassing, knocks my confidence etc.

I think the way we  react is probably mood-driven.  If everything in the garden is rosy, we shrug it off. If we have worries and problems lurking it adds to the burden and drags us further down.

I guess it's true of how we react to all negative things throughout our lives.  If you feel supported and happy it is much easier to live and let live.

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

You're right Milliemoo, it's fine when we can laugh at a situation, but it's not funny if the memory loss causes someone distress. I have a friend who is becoming increasingly worried about her memory loss. She has to write herself notes to remember stuff.

Elena

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »

I write notes, make lists, have a notebook just for work reminders.

It all helps.  At least I'm still sane enough to make the notes!

Limpy

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »

I make lists.
I make a shopping list, take it with me every week when out food shopping.
Do I remember to look at said list when out shopping?
NOooooooooooo          :'(
Sad, it would be ever so useful   ::)

Joyce

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »

They say so long as you realise what's happening you're OK. It's when you don't realise it....... Or so they say. I worry about it a lot as Alzheimer's runs in the family, so if I forget something I wonder if that's me starting on the slippery slope.  :o

Limpy

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 07:37:15 PM »

Thanks CG, that really does help.
At least I know I'me losing it - phew..............    8)

Joyce

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »

You & me, both Limpy.  ;)

Suzi Q

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »

You & me, both Limpy.  ;)

me tooooooooo xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3