Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Prozac  (Read 14590 times)

moonbeam121167

Re: Prozac
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »

Hi , I went from 20mg every day to every other day for a week then 10mg every few days and then every week and thought I would now leave it for 2 weeks till I have another 10mg, or do you have any advice on the tapering off

honeybun

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »

What did your GP say.

I have to say I am really confused. I know you have had heartburn issues but I thought you wanted to get your HRT type and amount sorted.
Your symptoms could be withdrawal from Prozac or from not having addressed the HRT that you are on.
Sorry if I am being a bit dense but I am really not sure what the problem is or what is causing it.

Honeyb
X

moonbeam121167

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »

Hi my GP insists my stomach problems have nothing to do with my HRT as I had the problems before my OP, it could all be down to my peri menopause and now menopause, the Omperazole is helping  and since I have not taken the Prozac every day my stomach as be a little better and cause it has been around 10 years since I have been on them its time to come off them and the GP thinks it is a good idea too. She never said how to come off them and so I have been google searching and tapering off them is the best way, so I started with 20mg every few days then I went down to 10mg every few days and I had a 10mg today and it has been 8 days since the last one and I maybe it is just the signs of the withdrawal symptoms and I just needed a ear to bash, sorry to be confusing , I had a good couple of weeks but yesterday and today has been hard but I think I need to give my self time and just thought someone can help on the tapering off Prozac and was told that a good Omega 3 can help  :)

Taz2

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »

You need to reduce the daily dose so that you are still having some every day. http://www.livestrong.com/article/29521-prozac-withdrawal-symptoms/

moonbeam121167

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

Hi just look at that link and it does not tell how to do it but it also has other links saying that Omega 3 can help so I think a I will try some Omega 3 and hopefully things will gets better  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »

Hi moonbeam

I understand from talking to other people that the only way to come off prozac or similar without side effects is through micro-tapering and this can take several months, but could be shorter depending on how your body reacts. You need to get a prescription for the medication as a liquid and then you carefully measure the dose and take each dose for a while before a very small reduction. There are forums for this. It depends on how quickly you want to come off and whether you can put up with certain side effects.

Here is a link which gives details of tapering off Fluoxetine using the syrup:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Hurdity x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »

Hi just looked and thanks I will have to get hold of the liquid , the GP never mentioned anything about how to taper off, thanks for you help x   :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 02:22:35 PM »

Your GP is lacking in providing information.  If you discussed thoroughly that you were considering stopping medication he should have given you coping skills in order to prevent as less trauma as possible.   Particularly with the World Wide reporting of how difficult this drug is to stop.  When I was confused I contacted the Company who made the particular drug I wanted to stop and was given good advice which I took to my GP and we worked on a withdrawal strategy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]