Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Moving house - or fliiping trying to!  (Read 7416 times)

catdude

Moving house - or fliiping trying to!
« on: August 06, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »

Anyone else moved house recently or trying to sell? What a nightmare! It has to be one of the most stressful things ever. To be fair we started off reasonably well, had an offer from a 1st time buyer after three months on the market, found somewhere we want to buy that was vacant so no chain to speak of. Five months later, after our buyer had numerous problems with his mortgage we are still waiting for the buyer's solicitors to get their 'legal' copy of the mortgage offer.

It really is the most ridiculous system as even at this stage after phone calls, emails, stress, rising blood pressure, lowering mood etc. he (or we) could still pull out! I sometimes wonder how anyone ever actually manages to move house.

Anyone got any examples of successful house moves or even horror stories of when it goes wrong - sometimes it's nice to share ones misery  ;D

honeybun

Re: Moving house - or fliiping trying to!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »

We did it three years ago almost to the day. Even now when I see bubble wrap I shudder as we had moved four years before that.
When we got here we discovered that the guy who had sold us the house had taken the cooker. We BBQd for a week. The heating packed in after 4 days. We moved in on the Friday and the builders came on the Monday to do a loft conversion. 7 days later my mother fell and broke her hip. Both my adult kids had chicken pox at the time of the move. It was a nightmare.

The sale itself was ok but I am in Scotland which does make a difference. When you sign up its a done deal and there are no delays.

Good luck with it all. It's up there with the most stressful things that you ever do.

Honeyb
X

fiorinda

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »

I'm selling my 'marital home', but I don't live in it (no-one really does now) and my ex-husband is getting all the stress (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha etc - serves him bloody right for avoiding ever dealing with anything in the 21 years we were together because he knew if he buried his head in the sand I'd HAVE to deal with stuff!!). It's been on the market for 17 months now. It's under offer now, we've signed contracts at our end, and the (prospective) buyer is getting an effing bargain as it's gone down and down in price and they're paying £33K less than it originally went on the market at!! We just both want it sold - I can pay all my debts off then, hopefully use the remainder as a deposit on a little house of my own, and I won't have to see or speak to him again untill one of my kids gets married!!

When we bought it in 1995, it was straight forward. It was empty. We were in a rented house. We got a chunk knocked off the price for work that needed doing, and it all went pretty smoothly. It's the only house I've ever owned.

Hope it gets easier and all goes through OK, catdude! x

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »

To begin with.
Even if the legal bits of the sale go through ok, the actual physical moving pieces of furniture part around of moving house is screamingly AWFUL.    :o

Sorry, that last bit is SHOUTED because I think it's about to happen again.......     :'(
No really.
It makes sense for  lots of reasons, but even so    ::)

Clovie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »

Hi
We've moved LOTS of times over the last 14 years, bought and sold must be....erm..... lets see .....yes, 8 houses bought and sold in amongst several rentals while we found houses we liked.  (Hubby's job has taken us all over UK)
Happy to report each of these sales/purchases has gone well, so it can be relatively stress free, but I do see how those times coming up to the finalities are stressful!!

However, have had our current house on the market on and off for a year now and no takers  :( Its because its out in the countryside and needs just the right person to come along - so this time it has been VERY stressful  :(
Putting it back on again in September for another go!

I do hope things smooth out for you, catdude (loving the name  ;))
I feel for you
Fingers crossed! x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »

Oh not for me anytime soon. It's not till you start wrapping things up that you realise how much stuff you have.
We went from a huge house to a little house.......it still makes me shudder when I think back.

Exciting times though.....nice to put your own mark on a new house.

Honeyb
X

catdude

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »

Clovie - that's a lot of moves! I don't think my nerves would stand it  :o

Oh yes, I forgot to say that the packing is pretty much all done as we were within 2 days of the agreed completion date when it 'came to light' that our buyer's mortgage hadn't actually been finalised so we've been living out of boxes for the last five weeks. I'm loathe to unpack them but it's a right pain!

lily

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »

We moved 2 yrs ago to a new build and the builders let us do a part exchange, so in that respect it was good as our old house was theirs to sell and we did not have to worry whether it sold or not while we were still there.  Did get viewers when we were up to our ears in boxes though  ;D  The actual moving day went quite well, but was so-o-o exhausting.  I insisted we throw away stuff we never used or looked at so we were quite ruthless and we unpacked as fast as was possible to get settled and not have lots of boxes around.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »

:o

We moved ourselves 3 times plus odds and sods
We moved here in 1983 - intending it to be a stop gap  ::)  ;D
We collect stuff  :-X