Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysterectomy  (Read 7373 times)

Ninfapaola

Hysterectomy
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »

I am due to have a hysterectomy in 3 weeks time due to a very large cyst on my ovary (this is the 2nd cyst - I had one 42 years ago when I was 16 which was drained).  However this time the surgeon has advised on a total hysterectomy (removing everything). I am through the menopause apart from the odd hot flush so I don't think I'll notice much difference in that area.

What is scaring me is the recovery time;  I've heard so many horror stories that it can be anything from 6 weeks to 3 months.  I work full time and my husband is self employed (no work - no pay) works long hours.  Taking time from work won't be a problem for me but living on a small holding with a couple of horses and six dogs and numerous chickens I am concerned that he will be doing too much if I am unable to help.

Are there any tips to speed up the recovery.  I am active and reasonably fit so I'm hoping this will go in my favour.  Sitting around watching someone do all the work is fine for a couple of days, but not for 6 weeks.

Any advice and hysterectomy experience would be very much appreciated.

Joyce

Re: Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »

I needed 6-8 weeks off work. Don't overdo stuff, take it very easy when you get home. You're not allowed to do housework or drive, initially. I started driving about 3-4 weeks post-op.  When you feel able, short walks, gradually building length of time you walk for. No matter how fit you are, the op will knock the stuffing out of you. Good luck!

Anjia

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

I had total abdominal hyster last November because of very heavy bleeding and can say it was the best thing I did.Like you Im always busy so found it frustrating at first but what ever you do don't over do it.It took me six months to feel normal again.Try the website hystersisters its very good. All the best to you x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

I don't think you can speed things up to be honest. You will only set up more problems for yourself especially regarding prolapse if you put pressure on your pelvic floor too quickly. Do you know why the surgeon is pushing for a total hyster if the problem is with the ovary?

Taz x

Lucky Stone

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

I would agree with all that's been said. The best tip I got was from an aunt who told me not to lift anything heavy for 1 year - that seems a long time but I had 400 stitches in all and was afraid of a prolapse and we moved house about 9 months later but I was good and refrained from lifting and I'm pleased I did as it's all healed up well. Good luck, I'm sure it will go well.

Babylon Burning

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »

Hi there, sorry to hear you need a TAH, I had one in March and it's no walk in the park.  You must take it easy and there are no shortcuts as far as I know.  Even now I still have problems eg. I rode for 2 hrs on Wednesday which would be a normal hack for me and I couldn't get back on again until Saturday as my stomach muscles were complaining.  My neighbour is a retired nurse and she said full recovery for this sort of major surgery can take up to a year.

Can someone else help with the animals?  My husband looked after ours but we only have one horse, one donkey, one cat and one dog.  Oh and walking is your friend, little and often.  I started off by walking round and round the kitchen table!  Hope all goes well for you. I'm happy to help if you have any more questions.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »

Another thing you will probably notice, as the weather gets colder, you will get a degree of pain in the operation site. I'd had 2 c sections so found that one out many moons ago.

Winterose

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:15 AM »

Mine  was done through the vagina so no tummy issues but think the op in general takes its toll, it  took 6 months to be back to pre op activity levels and actually looking back probably longer, really investigate why they need to remove everything, if you can keep your other ovary and womb it will be to your advantage,

Ninfapaola

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies.  It is now starting to sink in that there are no short cuts and I am going have to have a lot of self discipline.  I have had some offers of help so that will be an advantage.
Now all I have to do is stop these panic attacks occuring everytime I think about it; the doc has prescribed some diazapam which take the edge off but as you can probably gather I am terrified.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »

Do you know why you have to have everything taken away?   It seems a bit drastic if there is only a problem with one ovary.

Taz x

Babylon Burning

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »

I agree with Taz.  I only had it done because I really had to, what is the doctor's reasoning?

Winterose

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »

I think some of these doctors just think they are doing you a favour by whipping it all out, they probably mean well but dont understand the wider implications and all the finer points of our hormones, I had to fight to keep my ovaries and I am so glad I did, 

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »

My consultant said I should keep my ovaries. I did, for another 10 years.

Melbury

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »

I requested a sub-total hysterectomy - basically kept ovaries and cervix.

Had to have abdominal cut due to size of fibroids, but felt great within a few weeks and back at work in about 8 weeks.

Best thing I ever did, totally life changing :)

debil

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

Good luck for your operation Melbury.I hope you make a great recovery.
I have today been diagnosed with 8cm cyst on ovary.....(I'm 50 and post menopause)' I have no idea what comes next and feeling rather anxious., not sure what options are open to me or which path to take....
Take care
Debs x
Pages: [1] 2