Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Dry eyes!  (Read 3669 times)

Spangles

Dry eyes!
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »

Hi
Sorry it's me again! Has anyone experienced eye problems on menopause?
I am experiencing dry sore eyes and have been for a while, it's not the usual hay fever eyes. My  eyes are very sensitive  and I was just wondering if it could be linked to the meno.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

honeybun

Re: Dry eyes!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »

I think I do remember this being discussed before...maybe have a search.

I have had dry eyes in the past and my GP gave me artificial tears called lacrilube. You can buy it over the counter and its very soothing.

Maybe see your GP or optician to make sure everything is ok.

Honeyb
X

meno lesley

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »

Yes have had it since meno symptoms kicked off. I buy tears naturals from boots pharmacy which eases it a bit.

Lesley x

lily

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

Yes, but I wear contact lenses so it's a bit of an on-going thing for me.

Lynne888

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »

Yes I have this. I use the artificial tears at least twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.  Occasionally I have to use them more often when the scratchy feeling flares up worse than normal. If I forget to use them on a daily basis, after a couple of days it becomes 100 times worse and then takes a few days to settle down. The artificial tears are great. I buy them from Boots, I get their own make as they are so much cheaper and exactly the same as the more expensive branded ones.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »

Sorry to hijack. Can anyone tell me if dry eyes involve eyes cracking in the corners? Or is that something else altogether?  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »

Probably a mix of the same ....... sometimes I use Savlon in the corners to ease any soreness.  My eyes itch and feel gritty often.

Evenstar

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »

I also wear contact lenses and have terrible problems with dry eyes, not helped by hayfever too ::)
   I remember being told that pregnancy hormones affects how comfortable contact lenses are, so menopause must have the same effect.

Lucky Stone

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

I've had dry eye problems for at least 2 years now, it started when my contacts became uncomfortable to wear and I had to abandon them and go back to glasses  :-\ which I HATE. I suffered with rosacea for years and have been told that I now have ocular rosacea which makes your eyes go all red and bloodshot and dry up. I also have blethiritis which is also dry eye making and gives you styes. Not much you can do about any of this apart from manage it.

So here is what I do. I have made little cloth bags and filled them with linseeds and heat two up each morning for about 40 secs to put over my eyes. This warms the eyes up and makes them water a bit - e.g. increases tear production which helps with the dryness. I then have Viscotears on prescription and squirt a little into each eye and follow this up during the day once or twice. Then at night, I take a mug of hot water upstairs and dip the corner of a clean flannel in it before putting it oever each eye which sort of warms them up again, then more Viscotears before bed.

This is all a bit of a palaver but does help to keep the nasties at bay, although it has to be said that every now and again, I get a flare up (in one eye usually) - it goes all bloodshot and dry and blurry so then it is off to the doc's for some fucithalmic ointment which normally clears it up. By doing all this, I manage to avoid getting a stye - normally - and keep my eyes on the go, so to speak. But in addition, by GP has referred me to the eye clinic and I'm due to attend this week so we'll see if they can offer any further practical advice or solutions.

Bryher22

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »

I too have dry eyes caused by ocular rosacea.  It dries out the cornea.  I've been given drops and ointment and then I was put on antibiotic drops.  I'm due to go back to the consultant this month to see if the antibiotic drops have done their thing.

Please do not ignore the situation as it does need sorting.

:cat48:  Bryher22