Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Joint pain  (Read 4452 times)

lorrapaw

Joint pain
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:01 PM »

Is joint pain related to menopause? i get a lot of stiffness especially my fingers and its getting me down. Any tips on how to alleviate this.

Meg

Re: Joint pain
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:52:55 AM »

Dear Lorrapaw

I would personally say that joint pain and stiffness are definitely related to menopause and I think many women on the forum would agree.  I am sorry that I cannot offer advice on alleviation as it is an awful problem and can come on really badly when menopause hits.  I am sure that some women get relief with HRT but others say it does not make a big difference or may even make things worse!  Sorry I cannot be of more help but hope others may be able to reply.

Good luck

Meg

fiorinda

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »

A friend of mine recommended taking glucosamine supplements for this. Personally I can't see that they're making any difference, but they might work for you, you could try them. She swears by them! And yes, it does seem that joint pains and stiffness are part of the menopause! Oh, joy!

Liz

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:32:05 AM »

I get stiff, swollen and painful knuckles.  Unfortunately, the HRT didnt seem to make much difference with me.  I'm going to try Glucosamine and Chondroitin next.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:10:14 AM »

My GP told me that glucosamine is a good preventative but if you leave it till it hurts it won't work. He recommended fish oils.

That is seemingly what he uses.

I have the same problem with my joints and HRT does not really help.

This getting older thing is not much fun.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:33:04 AM »

HRT can help with the stiff feeling you get in muscles but doesn't affect arthritis pain apparently. I think the two things are very separate.

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »

My GP told me that glucosamine is a good preventative but if you leave it till it hurts it won't work. He recommended fish oils.

That is seemingly what he uses.

I have the same problem with my joints and HRT does not really help.

This getting older thing is not much fun.

Honeyb
X

Thanks for that, Honeyb - I'll try Fish Oils first then. x

kes

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »

I get very bad knee pain - I have tried glucosamine and fish oil, but sadly neither worked for me.   I had two frozen shoulders in the last few years, but both got better spontaneously, although it took about a year for each.

Lynne888

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:52:15 AM »

I have knee arthritis and will need a new knee at some point. The pain has been a lot worse lately and my *good* knee is now also painful. I think it is definitely worse in menopause. I was told the glucosamine is good but as others have said, if you already have pain, it won't make it better. I DID read that if you take it though it CAN stop things getting worse. I've taken it without any noticeable difference but I think you really have to be taking it for several weeks to see any results (if any). My joint pain is severe though, I have to wear a knee brace when walking. Its definitely been worse since all of my meno problems have got worse.