Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Lower leg edema (fluid retention) - progesterone the culprit or estrogen?  (Read 29973 times)

Badga

Hi guys

I have suffered with hormone-related fluid retention (lower legs) all of my life.  Cyclically, as a young women starting her fertile years, then as a woman on various forms of oral contraception (Estrogen ones seemed to make it worse), as a perimenopausal woman in her 40s not on any OC (GP saying most women my age get this and to keep my legs elevated and walk around more - yeah, like that's gonna go down well at work), and now as a postmenopausal woman on HRT (Estradot 50ug 2TW, Utrogestan 100mg 1TD).

Of course, the side effects listed for my HRT (if any of you gals are suffering insomnia as a result of menopause, read the patient info sheet for your HRT - you will be asleep in no time) include fluid retention, but I was wondering if anyone else on here is experiencing similar side-effects and is it a permanent fixture.

I have been on my current regimen for one month now.  Was previously on Evorel Conti for two months.  So not long in really.  See the consultant again in approx. 6 weeks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

"Most women"  >:( - show me the Research ????

Oedema can run in families.  Keeping legs elevated is important.  So is gentle exercise.  Weight loss.  Warm weather can increase oedema (are you State side?). 

Do you see a physio: perhaps ask for an exercise regime.  There are also massage techniques for ladies with post op upper limb oedema, perhaps you could seek advice?

Badga

Hi CLKD

I have been a group exercise instructor for 20 years plus.  Used to teach 10 to 20 classes a week.  Stopped teaching last year when I turned 50, but still walk to work every day (2 miles) and do spin or BodyAttack or BodyPump daily.  My BMI is 22 (body fat percentage around 25% - used to be around 20% before the menopause).  Don't need to do any more exercise or to lose any weight.

Interestingly, it only happens when I am seated for long periods such as when I am at work.

Badga

CLKD

<wave>

teaching Grandma to suck eggs then: sorry  :-[

When sitting is there obstruction behind the backs of your knees?  I know that men, when carrying wallets in their back pockets whilst driving long distances, developed sciatica ............. there are special sloping boards to rest the legs on when typing - have you tried one?  I am a secretary and found one useful if ever I was doing a lot of typing. 

Is the oedema in the ankle areas or in the whole leg to the knee?  You are allowed to walk round tha knows  ;)

CLKD

There was a product years ago which supposedly reduced fluid from the body pre-mensrually ....... 'waterfall' ?  Would something like that help?

Badga

Hi guys

Defo the hormones: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2849969/

Yup, have had my 'work station assessment' and use a foot rest at work.  Tried Waterfall, AquaBan, Dandelion tea, etc., etc.  There is also plenty of online advice about lowering sodium intake and drinking lots of water.  I do not eat process foods, or add salt, and am mindful of high-fat, high-sugar, high-sodium food consumption.  Interestingly, when I drink loads of water as recommended my legs expand even more!

I have a friend who saw a consultant regarding HRT for bone loss (http://www.studd.co.uk/bioidentical_hormones.php\).  He is an eminent expert in the field.  His view on bioidentical hormones/progesterone, is that:

"Unfortunately, it often reproduces PMS symptoms in those women who are progesterone intolerant (me?) and therefore there is a move to use a more natural progesterone such as Utrogestan 100 mgs for 7 days of each calendar month. This is in contrast to the orthodox management of 14 days of progestogen a month because of the frequent problems of depression, breast discomfort and loss of energy (yup...that's me) that occurs with a longer course of progestogen in those women with PMS and progestogen intolerance."

I am precribed Utrogestan 100mg every day continuously.  However, my consultant also said I can take it for 25 out of 28 days.  I am going to try that, and post what happens.

Badga

CLKD

:thankyou:

It's that old chestnut about 'not drinking enough' - originally put out by the bottled water Companies  ;)

Check the colour of the urine.  That is the basic way of making sure we remain properly hydrated.
The 1st pee of the day should be dark unless one is up in the night
During the day eat and drink 'normally' - people forget that food also contains liquids
Check the colour of the urine which should be straw to pale coloured - too pale and the kidneys are not getting enough fluids
Urine should be passed without straining or stinging
Drinking too much can be FATAL!

Do not cut out salt.  The body needs it.  My late M in L was given a BP tablet and a diuretic - neither was actually required as she had white coat synrdrome.  When she complaining of early morning dizzyiness and fainting her GP told her to cut salt from her diet.  She then developed cramp ......... then when her blood was tested the Consultant couldn't understand how she remained upright at all as she was dangerously low on sodium  >:(

Jubilee

I have that same problem but in my case its not due to the use of HRT
Its most uncomfortable - its worse when travelling of course , flying mkaes my ankles baloon really badly
Physiotherapy Departments used to offer compression Therapy to patients by using compression boots , but this treatment has now ceased apparently for fear that the fluid could fill the lungs ... this seemed rather odd to me I a though it would pass through Kidneys ..
I am not a medical person and I'm sure they know best and were advised of problems with a patient via circulars from their professional  body