Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Beta blockers during menopause  (Read 7458 times)

JJ

Beta blockers during menopause
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »

Hi,

Quick question re beta blockers, does anyone take them for anxiety who has well controlled asthma, and if so which ones?

Thanks JJ

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Beta blockers during menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

I take them for anxiety but don't have asthma - maybe talk with a Pharamist of the GP who prescribed them?

Clovie

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »

JJ, I have very well controlled asthma and have been told in the past I cannot have Beta Blockers at all :(
For a spate of panic attacks and anxiety about 4 years ago I was short course of citalopram 10mg. would have much rather had the beta blockers though as I understand they control adrenaline surges better.

Have you been told you can have them?  :)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »

I am on beta blockers but don't have asthma.

They don't work terribly well for me but I am scared not to take them. I did start out with 40mg which nearly saw me off. I am now on a little 10mg dose which I tolerate fine. They do make you slower and more tired though.

Better speak to your GP. They are used primarily for high blood pressure so asthmatics must be able to take some kind of beta blocker.

Honeyb
X

JJ

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »

Clovis, when I began all this menopause uch around 2 years ago, I was given a few options, hrt, anti depressants, low dose beta blocker. As my most uncomfortable symptom was the anxiety and after some thinking time I opted for the anti depressants and I have low dose Valium if the anxiety gets bad. My doc said she didn't think the low dose beta blocker would do any harm and if I felt it aggravating my asthma I could just stop. I chose not to take it, but sometimes I think maybe I should have tried it - maybe I will but not right now, I think my anxiety is spiking due to daughters upcoming  wedding, in which case I will settle again.

I'm sure they must make beta blockers that are cardio selective , like honeybun said, asthmatics must get high blood pressure too.

Clovie

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »

Oh that's interesting JJ, thanks for replying.  :)
Might mention to my doctor next time I pluck up courage to go see her, in case I am in need of anything to calm the horrid moods I get on progesterone ;D
Am Ok at the moment, fingers crossed. ;)
I'm sure after your daughters wedding you will be fine again, its a very stressful event, and I know its very easy for me to say, but try to enjoy the run up to what will be a wonderful day I'm sure! xxx

JJ

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »

Clovie, I'm trying my best to not get too stressed, but jeeeeees the adrenalin is flowing. Also, apologies, don't know why I called you Clovis . Meno brain ......... :-\

Clovie

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 08:08:53 PM »

Ha ha ha ha, that's OK JJ, I answer to anything!  ;D

And I'm sure you'll be fine despite the adrenaline, sending good calming vibes your way!  xxx

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:18:49 AM »

Me Inderal 40m 2 daily
But I get attacks that can last up to a month then just vanish never know when or why they hit
I take half so 40 a day not 80 to me theyve been a god send have them in my bag
But last panic anx happend 3 months ago latsted 29 days then BOOM gone so I just stopped them
Back in the cabinet I kow your not supposed to stop like that but Ive had them for Anxiety snce I was 27 on and off
Ive always done the same as soon as 2/3 days when no symptoms then I stop bihg hugs xxxxx