Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The healthy eater  (Read 12826 times)

Rowan

The healthy eater
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »

This made me laugh ;D I think I am a victim. 

http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/tragedy-healthy-eater.html

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: The healthy eater
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »

Yep  ;D - it is fashionable one day, bad for use the next  ::)

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »

me too round and round in circles whats best for us whats not  :-\ while my other half eats what he wants when he wants and is never ill  ???

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »

I am doomed that's for sure.

My OH says that possibly the only thing left that is not bad for you is pepper.

When I think of when I was young there was none of this rubbish about what to eat about. We were not terribly well off and my mother had to make the pennies stretch so we ate cheap cuts of meat and white bread and butter. Full cream milk.....Don't think there was any other type on offer. Yogurt....What was that.

I want to go out with a glass of wine in one hand and a cream bun in the other......Oh and a smile on my face.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »

Honeybun - I was thinking about our eating habits late last night.  No processed foods.  Not many choices of biscuits.  Mums made meals from scratch.  We tended to get the same meals the same nights of the week, i.e. beans on toast on a Monday for tea ...... roast dinner on Sunday.

Sometimes I think there's too much choice, it was take it or leave it when I was a kid  ::)

kerrieann

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »

yep honey b  lately i am thinking along these lines when i see the changes in feeding my grandkids to what i fed my three when they were little and i thankfully have 3 strapping healthy lads they always had full cream milk sugar in their tea plenty of cheese and sweets if they wanted some i never restricted them and they were never greedy with anything suppose you always want what you cant have  :)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »

I reckon we got away with eating a different diet in the "old days" because of the amount of exercise everything took just going about their daily life. My dad was a lorry driver which was really hard work - no power steering and having to sheet up his load several times a day was a brilliant work out. My mum did all the washing by hand with the help of her copper and her dolly and scrubbing board. Housework was harder too. Our sole heating source was the coal fire - we couldn't just turn the thermostat up when the room went cold but argued over who's turn it was to make a trip to the coal bunker with the coal scuttle.  So is it not so much the diet but also the fact that we spend too much time sitting on our backsides at the computer (like me right now!) or in the car or watching tv.

You make a good point CLKD - when mum's were at home then a lot of the day could be spent making nutritious meals but for so many women nowadays their "at work" day ends around 5.30 and they then have to start again after picking up the children from the childminder/after school club. Who can blame them for going for the processed food option? I think that the younger generation of women have got it really tough - I don't know about "having it all" - it seems to be more of "having to DO it all" !!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »

I got a bit caught up in the buying very expensive stuff due to food scares.
When my son was little it was the time of mad cow disease. I ended up sending to Wales for organic meat.
I always fed my kids home cooked stuff and they did not have a clue what a Big Mac was. Now it's down to them....My influence has gone.

I don't generally buy ready meals but I am not out at work and totally understand why some people go for the quick alternatives.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »

call me old fashioned but i have always like that way of life i was lucky enough to stay at home for my kids i know not everyone is  but i cooked from scratch used to walk to the shops and carry fresh groceries nearly every day  i had to get up first and light the fire for the back boiler to get the house and water warm then walk the kids to school it was always busy  now i set the heating to come on as and when if i dont feel like cooking i order takeaway wouldnt dream of walking to fetch and carry shopping i drive but i would turn the clock back if i could  :)

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »

It was only meant to be light hearted though, the blogger is an organic gardener and chef. It was very clever and amusing and that was how she meant it to be.

kerrieann

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »

there  is some truth in it though  :)

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »

Think we are lucky now because we have the choice of cooking from scratch and convenient foods and health foods :) My mum did not work and we always had lovely healthy meals to come home too, she was also into alternate health so we always had our vitamins to take too.

When we left home I don't think she did so much, and she loved Waitrose and Marks and Spencer food. I would live on M&S food ::) perhaps its those adverts ;D

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »

It was really funny SL but I think you have sparked an interesting discussion.

Funny how topics change and run.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »

You can turn the clock back if you want to kerrieann. You don't have to use the car just because you can drive - not sure about the back boiler and the fire though - you may not have a chimney now.  :D

I would turn the clock back to when mine were small but that's because I remember the good bits and not the awful times when they squabbled, refused to eat or go to sleep. I wouldn't want to turn the clock back to no internet, no central heating and waiting for the bus etc. though.

I haven't actually looked at the link!  ;D

Taz x  :)

kerrieann

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »

yes taz your right i probably remember the good bits my eldest 2 used to fight and squabble over everything  :) just have to move along with the times  i would miss the internet too and i suppose i forgot the times i waited for buses with bags of shopping in the rain  not all good eh  ;)
Pages: [1] 2