Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi, I'm fairly new and would like some advice about Livial please  (Read 4615 times)

CindyIncidentally

Hi, I'm 52, been period free for about 15 months and after 2-3 years of hot flushes decided to give in and go on HRT.  Sage had helped for a while then they came back, same story with black cohosh.  My GP put me on Livial 3 weeks ago and to be honest I think the flushes are the same if not slightly worse.  Is this normal?  Someone please tell me that they suddenly stop in the 4th week!!!

Hurdity

Re: Hi, I'm fairly new and would like some advice about Livial please
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »

Hi CindyIncidentally

I have no experience of Livial and I am sure someone will be along soon who does - although it hasn't been mentioned recently - but I just wanted to say :welcomemm: and I hope you will start to notice a difference soon and feel better....

Hurdity  x

Rosebush

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »

Cindy i tried Livial a few years ago, on HRT for hot sweats, it did not help at all, i am now on Femseven Conti Patches, day sweats very rare now night one's have dropped a little over the last 6mths from every 40mins to 60mins..

It does take anything from 1wk to a month to kick in..did your GP ask for you to go back if Livial did not work?  x

CindyIncidentally

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:03:35 AM »

Hi - Rosebush, no she seemed to assume that they would work (even though the Clonidine didn't, nor the Sertraline).  It won't stop me going back though, but after giving these a fair trial I think I might try Menopace.  I'd never heard of it until the other day on here and it seems to have as much hope of working as anything else! 

Hurdity, thanks for the welcome mat.  Just reading through some posts in various threads has helped already - some people have it much worse than me. 

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »

Hi CindyIncidentally - welcome to the forum.

I wonder the Livial is strong enough for you? The components in this preparation are quite weak compared with other HRT's and I would suggest going back to your GP and asking for a different type. One reason for a GP to prescribe it is if there is a loss of libido as Livial mimics the three hormones, oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone so I'm not sure if this is one of your meno problems?

Maybe you could try one of the patches such as Evorel Conti (sticks brilliantly but may cause PMT symptoms in some women) or Femseven (kinder in terms of PMT side effects but doesn't always stick very well). It may be that as you are still only 52 you need a higher dose of oestrogen to beat the flushes.

Taz x

CindyIncidentally

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:07 PM »

Hi Taz2, thanks for your comments.  Sorry not to reply sooner, I was away for a few days enjoying the good weather. My GP didn't ask if loss of libido was a problem for me or not, so that can't have featured in her reasons for prescribing! She did know I was reluctant to use HRT at all so I suppose she was giving me as little as possible. 

I just love the phrase "still only 52" - virtual hugs!! Some days I feel much older.

Blessed be
Cindy

MAZZA64

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:57:20 PM »

Hi
I am a newbie today to this site, although I have been going through the menopause since I was 42 and I will be 49 this August. My GP was reluctant to put me on HRT at all, it was only when I pleaded for something - and asked to be put on Livial that I was prescribed it. However, I have since been told by a female gynaecologist that Livial is normally prescribed for older women in the menopause as it is a synthetic HRT. That is not say I didn't benefit from Livial, it made a big difference, especially to the sweats!
Due to my weight (8stone) I was changed to Evoril Conti patches which are good for my symptoms but also protects against osteoporosis. Although I am experiencing bleeds. But I will persevere and see what happens.
I also read that Livial is supposed to be good for the libido!
Mazza x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »

Hi Mazza  :welcomemm:

Livial is normally prescribed for post menopausal women so the gynae was right. Post meno is having gone at least a year without a period if you are over 50 and two years if under 50 - although some say only a year in both cases. Normally a bleed HRT (sequi) is used if you are not post-meno in order to protect your womb from endometrial cancer. Livial does help libido in some women because it mimics testosterone.

You will find lots of advice and support on here.

Taz x