Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: is it the meno ???  (Read 6090 times)

kerrieann

is it the meno ???
« on: May 26, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »

hi ladies some thoughts and opinions please iam 56 no period for approx 6 years which is when all went downhill not taking anything at the min except for blood pressure meds and occasional omeprazole for acid hot sweats seem to have gone but feeling soo down and terribly anxious all the time had a bad back for around 7 months which causing groin pain so cant walk far last few days had awfull stiffness in my arm and my feet ache  basically falling apart  :( got to thinking today about my d in law who has got endimetriosis  the hospital have given her injections which sort of mimick the meno its to stop the lining of her womb from growing each month  anyhow for the 1st month she was aching all over everwhere said she felt like she had run a marathon so my question is are all my aches and pains down to hormones and would patches help ?? getting so desperate now my other half iam sure thinks iam just miserable but i dont want to feel like this any advice would be much appreciated thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: is it the meno ???
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »

Could be.  Pain in the groin is from the hip.  Back pain is usually separate.  I ache all over first thing in the morning, not every morning but  ::) ......... the drop in oestrogen apparently makes the ligaments lax?

Have you needed to take Nurofen for example to ease symptoms?

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »

Silverlady posted a link on Cuba Girls topic about how patches can be used to help with arthritis.

Sorry don't have time to find it at the moment but if you have a look at SLs posts you will find it.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »

Its a quandary about estrogen and ligaments as too much can cause lax ligaments too, if you google you can finds lots of reference's. 

http://sock-doc.com/2012/11/ankle-sprains-ligament-damage/

It could be that during the peri menopause progesterone is falling and causing hormone imbalance, to be honest I have been on estrogen patches for years and it has not prevented joint pains, I have low back pain and frontal groin discomfort either side, I think its more to do with nerve pain, disc pain, tendons, ligaments and osteoarthritis. Not all at one I hasten to add.

The best thing is to get a diagnosis and then you can go from there.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:12:17 AM by silverlady »

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »

clkd, cant take nurofen or any anti inflamatories as the upset my stomach  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »

How about cod liver oil capsules or Omega 1/2/3?

meno lesley

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »

Hi Kerrieann

I am 55 and was hit by meno symptoms at 52 after 3 years of having no periods. Have been on various hrts and am on estrogel and utrogestan which has been the best for me. One of my first symptoms was overall pain in muscles and joints. Have to say that I still have pain mostly in my feet and lower back which I cannot work out if is just me or hormones.

Lesley x

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »

clkd havent tried cod liver oil or omega  are they likely to upset the stomach ? as mine is a damn nightmare cant even take multi vitamins without getting stomach pains

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 07:55:39 PM »

Hi kerrieann

I've been on HRT since nearly 54, now just 60 and when I stopped for 3 months, as well as the sweats returning I got all sorts of aches and pains including low back ache/groin/pelvic/bladder pain. which was worse in the evening. When I went back onto HRT it all went and I am OK now.

I would seriously consider it - as you can see it doesn't necessarily get rid of all the aches and pains and depends on the cause, but a lot is due to decreasing oestrogen - and these effects are usually later to manifest themselevs than the sweats and flushes.

If you do consider it now you are post-meno, it can sometimes be tricky finding the right one. Because you are post-meno you would be recommended a combined HRT, but sometimes, some of the progestogens disagree with some women which puts them off.

I would definitely recommend trying patches but start on a low dose especially if you go onto the combined type as there is sometimes a bit of bleeding until things settle down as your body is not used to oestrogen - but will likely benefit from it!

Hurdity x

kerrieann

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »

hurditiy thanks for the info i have a docs appointment on thurs morning iam going to ask if there are any tests for arthritis and if i can have them and will ask him what he thinks