Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi-New to life saving forum  (Read 4572 times)

jayneaddo

Hi-New to life saving forum
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »

Hi All

I am another newbie although I have been reading this forum for some time.

I am 50 and became post menopausal at 42 after a few years of problems and no-one listening. I had no hot flushes, but did suffer with anxiety and palpitations. I was put on Femosten Conti which was like a wonder drug.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy -I had awful symptoms and was going to the loo about 40 times a day. I suffer with interstitial cystitis and had to resort to the local GUM clinic where I found a wonderful doctor who prescribed me vagifem 25mcg. My god did that make a difference, I should have been on it years ago.

Anyhow about a month ago it all started to flare up again, the 25mcg was withdrawn and now is only 10mcg and my symptoms seemed to be coming back both with vaginal atrophy and palpitations and tiredness and that strange spaced out feeling.

I went to see a gynae privately who thought a couple of things had happened. The reduction in vagifem and I had lost two stone in weight(over a year) and oestragen is stored in fat cells. He thought I should increase my Oestragen so put me on Climaval 1mg. I only lasted 4 days they made me feel so ill and also I contacted Dr Currie as they have no progesterone in them. She thought it was a bad idea and recommended patches. Evorel Conti- I rang the Dr but because my original gynae hadnt mentioned it, they refused it. have spoken to gynae now and he agrees. I also appear to now have headaches-never suffered with them before.

My VA is good at the minute and Im not sure I need more oestrogen as with the climaval I got really irritable and I do so love my Femosten . What do others think.?

Seeing Dr today about headaches as they are quite severe.

Dyan

Re: Hi-New to life saving forum
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »

Hi jayneaddo,

Just to say  :welcomemm:.
You will get loads of support on here.
Hope you get on ok at doctors today

Dyan X :)

jayneaddo

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »

Hi all

Been to the Drs. She was great really listened and we have decided to add in 25mcg estradot patch to the remoisten conti that I already take and swear by. There is enough progestogen in my system from the Femosten to cope with this without the awful symptoms that I had last time. Try it for a month and see how I get on and can increase if needed.

My headaches we think are linked to physio that I have been having on my neck.So ibuprofen and let it all settle down.

Heres hoping I feel like a new woman very soon.

Best
Jayne

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »

Hi Jayne

Welcome from me too

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

If your headaches started after the change in HRT - ie to the Evorel, it could be due to the progestogen in these patches - called norethisterone - it gives me headaches too and is one of the known side effects.

Sounds like a good idea to go with one you already know like the Femoston. If you do feel OK on it, it might be an idea to get your womb lining checked regularly re the added oestrogen with no added progesterone. Is this what your private gynae suggested (the extra oestrogen patch) or the GP? It does seem odd that the GP wouldn't give you something unless the gynae agreed.

Also have they suggested vaginal oestrogen as well - many of us use vag oestrogen in addition to full HRT so are you going to use the Vag 10 mcg as well? Alternatively Estriol pessaries (Orthogynest) which are a weaker oestrogen than Vagifem but do the same job - slightly messier though.

Hope this helps and your headaches and other symptoms get better!

Hurdity x

Evenstar

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »

Just wanted to say hi and welcome xxxxxxx

jayneaddo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »

Hi all

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Hurdity - I am also continuing with vagifem at 10mcg and reviewing in a month. I must say I feel a lot better this morning, it can't work this quickly can it.? Going to try the 25mcg for a month and then see if I need a stronger one or not. The gp I saw was different to the one I spoke to on the phone, that one was aggressive and really unhelpful. The one I saw yesterday was great and put me in the driving seat. My gynaecologist thinks the prog in femosten will be enough to cover up to 50mcg of patch without any additional prog.
I do think I will have an annual scan to make sure, my last scan was a year ago when I had a lot of bleeding. That was all clear then?

I'm starting to think that my headaches were oestrogen related. Is this possible? Could just be coincidence.
Jayne

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »

Hi jayne

Sudden increase in oestrogen can cause headaches but they should then go once your body gets used to the higher dose.

Good news re being scanned regularly. At least your gynae knows their stuff.

Hope it all works out for you

Hurdity x

jayneaddo

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »

Hurdity thanks

It does help to know you are not on your own. What a great site this is!

Jayne