Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vitamin D deficiency!  (Read 16807 times)

Londongirl

Vitamin D deficiency!
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

So I am on Femoston Conti and ant depressants (sertraline 50mg). 

When I started the sertraline I was also becoming very very tired, not just tired but the real exhaustion...... not able to get up for work and feeling constantly washed out. 

Thought it was HRT so changed back to Femoston and thought it could be sertraline too. 

A few weeks back went to gp and had blood tests which showed am low in vit d. 

Just wondering here if anyone has experienced this during meno?  Could it be yet another flipping sympton of meno and/or HRT? 

Also, annoying throat symptons are coming back, notably swollen glands and had flipping tonsitilis last month  :(

I am now on high dose vit d supplements prescribed by gp and have decided to give the femoston conti another two months before I ask to go back onto Angelique (as I only gave that a month before I gave up on that one!).

Femoston conti is still giving me monthly bleeds (sometimes twice a month) and they are not too heavy but the symptons beforehand are awful, very nauseous, sore boobs, extreme tiredness, awful mood, lethargy, apathy.;....... you name it! 

So quite a lot in this post but just putting feelers out to see if anyone having this and/or comments or suggestions?

Londongirl, Anna

grumpy2008

Re: Vitamin D deficiency!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »

Sorry to hear about your problems, Londongirl, but happy your blood tests showed something you can work with... nothing worse than feeling rough and not knowing the reason why.

Funny you should mention vit d - I've been wondering about taking supplements but would rather have my levels checked first.

You also mention throat symptoms - I've been having problems in that area - swollen glands, horrid cough that won't shift, and think it borders on tonsillitis (haven't had time to see the GP). Are we more prone to this?

I can't advise about the HRT, but hope you feel better soon.... :)

jax

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »

I believe we get our vit D from sunshine... as we have officially had 18 months of winter according to country file its no wonder we feel SAD all the time... it rained most of last summer!

jgr

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »

I have not had Vit D levels checked, but it would not surprise me if they are low. Work all week in an area with no windows. I defo get sad, occupational health dept also said many of the staff get sick building syndrome as well with the lack of daylight. Roll on summer and here's hoping it is a scorcher.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »

I don't think it is anything to do with meno but more the sort of lives we lead and the weather. For years we have been told to stay out of the sun and covered ourselves up with all sorts of creams (unless you are me of course who stays indoors in the summer  ;D). It is a really worrying problem http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9742176/Plethora-of-diseases-caused-by-low-vitamin-D.html 

My doc wont test for Vit D deficiency though.

Taz x

grumpy2008

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »

My doc wont test for Vit D deficiency though.

Taz x

Any particular reason, Taz? I've never asked, so don't if my GP would test for it.

You do hear a lot about Vit D deficiency these days though, for the reasons you mentioned.

sweettooth

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:39 PM »

Lgirl, does one have to ask to have vit D levels checked or is it standard when doing bloods for tiredness etc? I had bloods done lately because i have been feeling tired too! but they all came back 'normal'. I did however before this appt get myself a high dose vit D spray.

I would say Lgirl that this has had an effect on your overall wellbeing but the only way to make sure is NOT to change anything else in the meantime apart from intro of Vit D. I have heard a lot of people lately talking about tiredness and low mood so would not at all be surprised if its lack of sunlight/winter blues. I also used to get the throat symptoms thinking i was coming down with virus and then it would just disappear so this is probably a meno thing perhaps affecting our immunity.

Anyway hope the vit D does the trick :)

meno lesley

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

Hi

When my meno symptoms kicked off over 2 years ago I had overall joint and bone pain. This did go away for a while but reared its head almost a year ago. After several trips to the doctors complaining of foot, knee and bone pain when I sat or laid down, I had a vit d blood test. It came back with a low reading and I'm on high dose vit d for a year. The knee and bone pain has almost gone but am still left foot pain which may not have been related to the vit d. I didn't really feel tired just worn out with the pain. I've just had another reading and its within normal levels but still have to carry on with vit d.

Hope this helps you.

Lesley x

purplenanny

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »

Hi
I went on to HRT  due to a few symptoms of the menopause, the main one being bone pain. HRT was not suitable for several reasons, but it did help the pain. When I stopped taking it the pain returned and was extreme. My GP did blood tests and Vit D was very low. He prescribed high dose Vit D3 for 3 months and the pain has eased to the extent that I am now taking daily walks and cycling.
 I am due back to have my levels checked but would now worry about stopping the VitD tablets as they have certainly improved my mobility and pain.
Hope this helps and good luck
PN x x

Firewalker50

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »

My mum (age 82) has low vitamin D and she has been prescribed Vitamin D with calcium.  Apparently it is practice for over-75s in that practice.

I take BetterYou mouthspray - one spray = 1000mg per day as part of my supplements.

My friend had her levels tested by her Doctor because of joint pains.  She was told she has the highest Vitamin D reading in the practice!  No wonder, she has 3 holidays in the sun and has always been a bit of a sun worshipper  8).

Fx

wombat62

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:53 AM »

Hello Ladies

I haven't posted for a while but do dip in and see how everyone is getting on!

I would say that everyone should be taking a Vit D supplement during the winter. From what I hear the UK has had even less light than usual this last year, I'm in Australia, it's summer and I've just had a routine blood test which showed I was lacking in Vit D! I certainly didn't expect that and have to take a supplement during the summer as well.

It's not necessarily a meno thing, everyone's levels will be low in winter although maybe we don't retain it as well as we get older. It's a vitamin you flush out if not required so no harm in supplements and serious lacking in this vitamin has been linked to several diseases which are more prevalent in the northern hemispheres.

Australia has severe Vit D deficiencies because of the slip, slap, slop campaigns, it's very difficult as there is a lot of skin cancer here as well but 15 mins a day at either end of the day is supposed to be enough to keep levels topped up....I'm off to do mine!

I hope you get a decent summer this year, I do feel for you all, you must all be so fed up with the constant bad weather!

Suzi Q

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 03:04:53 AM »

Yes we do have severe VIT D here
Kids kepot in from school and I hear its the worst in the world in Tazzie so much so that kids are being made to go outside in their lunch breaks
But 15 mins of sun in Qld can burn you we say here walk to the washing line put on the clothes and thats a full days VIT D
I saw on emb Bodies you can buy a little machine with no UV rays that you can sit by for 30 mins and thats all u need?

purplenanny

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »

Hi

When my meno symptoms kicked off over 2 years ago I had overall joint and bone pain. This did go away for a while but reared its head almost a year ago. After several trips to the doctors complaining of foot, knee and bone pain when I sat or laid down, I had a vit d blood test. It came back with a low reading and I'm on high dose vit d for a year. The knee and bone pain has almost gone but am still left foot pain which may not have been related to the vit d. I didn't really feel tired just worn out with the pain. I've just had another reading and its within normal levels but still have to carry on with vit d.

Hope this helps you.

Lesley x

Hi Lesley
I have just been catching up with MM and my situation is the same as yours - can I ask if you take magnesium or calciulm alongside your Vit D?
PN x x

jax

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »

Hi PN...
what dose of vit D are you on?
I get constant night pain in bones..waking almost hourly to shift..

purplenanny

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »

Hi Jax
I have been on gp prescribed 800 x twice daily for 5 months which has brought my levels up, but he wants me to continue with 1 tablet daily as I still get some pain, albeit a lot less than before. I spend many hours awake at night with either painful shins or irritable legs

Have you had a vit d blood test Jax?

I am wondering if wheat has anything to do with it as I ate more bread than usual and my legs were particularly bad - they improved but I had missed my 2 mile daily walk for 3 days, so it could be walking that aggravates them. Although the gp has said to keep walking.

I had no pain at all when on hrt but had to cease taking it for other horrendous reasons. Are you on hrt Jax?
Pages: [1] 2 3