Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Christmas blues  (Read 27138 times)

Suzi Q

Re: Christmas blues
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »

And Jesus said do not make a show of your devotion find a quite place to pray
You dont have to go to church to beleive in god or even think you are ness a practising one
But we are taught at home in school ethics we live out life by that come directly from the 10 commandments
Go to any church on a Sunday and see skin heads and girls with tats with baby getting it christened
NO show about it just a few family memebers and these are Proddie churchrs as well as catholics
They want it its what you do they dont always totaly get it but kow its whats done
When we have a crsisis most of us not all but the vast majority pray to god to help
Whats with this white English  only  MOst Britons who are of west Indian and African decent are Christian
WELL over 50% of the worlds christians are not white colour plays no part in Christianity
80% of all South seas Islanders are Christians same for maoris and Ozz aboriginals they are defo not white!

IM a Christian Bobbles is an atheist yet his morals and values are totaly Christian or as he calls it Humanist
I say to him your a better Christian than me I am a Christian I believe totaly yet I didnt marry in a Church
Bobbles didnt want too and I resected his wishes I know what i am know i didnt have to make a show god knows me

We start Parliamnet here and UK and NZ Canada and god only knows how many others with the Lords Prayer
Even so trligion is a private thing most people would never mention it except on the Census
People attend church now than 10 years ago its not advertised but its true OK maybe not reg attendance but they go

New years a funny time we are all expected to be hayyyyy when its either cold or in my case hot as hell and bills come in gas leccie etc then card bills in for pressies that you shouldnt or neednt have bought but we all do it hehehe

Oldteen

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »

What I meant Suzi is that white Britons automatically call themselves "Christian" BECAUSE they are white Britons  even if they never pray and are not "practising"; they say they are Christian because of their culture and upbringing, not because of any religious conviction. There was much debate over the Census questions about religion because of that.

Of course I know that Christians come from all races!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:03:48 PM by Batty Old Bird »

Elena

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »

hate christmas, hate new year, hate jan, feb, march.  Roll on April...

honeybun

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »

This should be the bah humbug topic.

Am I alone in enjoying Xmas. Its only as commercial as you allow it to be and the last time I looked no one was holding a gun to my head to make me buy things I could not afford.

I do think of people who are not with us at Xmas but no more than any other time of year.

I for one intend to try and relax and enjoy time with my family....watch rubbish TV.....enjoy giving gifts to my OH, kids and extended family (little thoughtful things)...eat turkey and have a few glasses of wine.

I also intend to appreciate the fact that we have all come through another year and are all relatively speaking healthy.

Honeyb
x

English Rose

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »

I think Christmas, New Year (and to some extent birthdays and anniversaries too) can be quite sad when your life is not quite right. To me it's always a reminder that another year has gone by without me having the courage to change things....profound I know.
Agree with you BOB about religious hypocrisy at Christmas. I'm not at all religious, despite having a religious upbringing, but fundamentally Christmas is a christian festival that's been hijacked by materialism. Oh well - will be good to have a few days off work anyway. I quite like the time between Xmas and New Year - feels like the pressure's off for a few days once the family have all cleared off - such relief when it's over  ;).   ER x

flushtered

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »

I agree with you Honeyb, I like Christmas and for me it's a lot easier and happier than it was when my parents were here and were ill.  But this thread is for those who don't like it.

honeybun

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »

Yes you are quite right NF.

Apologies for being a "closet" Xmas fan.

I will go and look for the Xmas greetings thread.

:hug:     to all who are feeling sad.

Honeyb
x

Oldteen

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »

It's a hard time for people on their own too. The Samaritans say it's their busiest time of year.

Today I hung a tag for my parents on the memorial Christmas tree at the Funeral Directors. Boxing Day 2007 my mum was taken into hospital, screaming with pain from ulcerative colitis and begging the doctor to let her die. She got her wish three weeks later.

lady57

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »

Before you go honeybun i would like to thank you for the voice of reason below, i hope you have a lovely christmas x

Its only as commercial as you allow it to be and the last time I looked no one was holding a gun to my head to make me buy things I could not afford.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »

Agree Jane!

Have one of these  :hug:  BoB

Went to MK this morning, people are beginning to realise how close C.mas is getting  :o

pixie

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »

I have had enough of the Christmas thing already. At least in Aldi, they don't play all that awful music.  Why can't somebody write some new songs, instead the same old 1970s blast outs! I so sick of Slade bellowing out - ITS XMAS.The thing that really gets to me is the commercial aspect of it and the fact that we all have this 'enforced jolliness' at this time of the year. Kids just want big presents and don't understand the real meaning of it!  I heard on the radio that the average person is spending £100 per child.  For goodness sake, most little children are more interested in the box it is in, that whats inside. In reality, we have to spend time with family, who we'd rather not be with, trying to please everyone, quibbles about turkey etc. Although I'm lucky to have a nice family and we will have a quiet low key day, which is what we want, It wouldn't bother me if it just came and went like any other day.  I can't stand this ridiculous panic buying, as if World War 3 about to start,and miserable faces everywhere.  Grrrrr HUMBUG  with big stripes! ::)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:38:28 PM by pixie »

Limpy

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »

We always used to spend Christmas in New Zealand, they used to play "Grandma got run over by a Reindeer" during December.
Quite festive in it's own way, easier to listen to than many things

Elena

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »

Absolutely agree with you once more Pixie.

and the state of Sainsburys mid-afternoon on friday :(

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Hibernation is a tempting thought

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »

The advert for a certain T supermarket with the family laying the table, calling the kids down from up-stairs, carrying in the large turkey and almost getting tripped up by the Jack Russell - these adverts are never in single story dwellings or small terraces houses are they  :-X

Taz2

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 10:24:39 PM »

I think the Boots advert is set far more in the real world than is usual at Christmas. Not full of fancy cars and sweeping drives and twinkling chandliers!

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8