Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Something for Halloween  (Read 9888 times)

Rowan

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Something for Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »

:o

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »

Almost that time of year!  We have Brambley apples to hand out this year  ;D

Only a 1st World country would use arable land to grow a product, most of which will be destroyed  :-\ - the Fens is full of orange pumpkin fields which are currently being harvested .......

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »

Hope you tell the children they can't just munch them CLKD otherwise they will be back for the trick bit of trick or treat.

I used to spend a fortune on sweets and decorations as we always had a big party with at least 20 kids. I was a glutton for punishment but it was great fun. Now I don't even get one child coming to the door.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:47:48 PM »

No kids beside us any more, so I don't bother with sweets nowadays. Though, as a result of me not opening my door to all & sundry our front door got egged one year. Nightmare to clean! Little so-in-sos.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »

Did you not have the hose ready ? 

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »

For the door or the kids  ;D

Honeyb
X

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »

I'm not a 'humbug' person, but I have been using the local police force's 'No Trick or Treat' posters for the last couple of years.  If the T&Ting was just the little ones from our street (accompanied by an older silbing and or parent) I would be quite happy to join in, but once they've gone in the bigger 'kids' from who-knows-where (certainly not our street!) arrive hammering on the door.  Their idea of fancy dress is their hoody, and they drive my poor dog insane (she totally ignores fireworks, but Halloween really upsets her as people knock on the door).

Add to that, I'm actually Wiccan, so Samhain is an important date for me and I like to spend some time carrying out a very personal ritual and meditation - impossible if I have to keep answering the door to people who couldn't even explain to me WHY they are knocking (except 'ET did it!!).

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »

Should have had hose at the ready. Just thankful they didn't finish it with flour. Only folk getting treats this year are grandchildren & DD, well it is her birthday. Always try to find some daft thing to give her.

Dyan

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »

Halloween is a big thing in our street.
Houses are decorated and I make little bags of sweets up for the trick or treaters.
I love seeing the little ones in their costumes.
I use to put on a hairy werewolf hand and put it out of the letter box when they came round but it was too frightening for them.
The big kids liked it though but they generally come later but by then all my treats have gone and the decks come down.
The children know not to go round anyone's who haven't anything halloweeny on show.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »

When my kids were young we stayed in a small estate with a lot of children. We all got together to give the kids a good time. They were never allowed to go to a house that they did not know. To my mind that's just begging.

I would not answer my door now as I don't know any of the children around here.

Honeyb
X

andius

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »

We turn off our outside lights and do not answer the door.

The children turned into.... adults pushing children in strollers..... then people came who looked like they didn't live in our neighborhood ( I know they don't), hordes of teenagers, etc.  I think they are being bussed in just to go trick or treating!  I don't like strangers from the other side of town in our neighborhood, but oh well!

Andius