Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Call The Midwife and Farewell to the East End  (Read 11323 times)

Hannah

Call The Midwife and Farewell to the East End
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »

I've just finished both books and decided to look Jennifer Worth up online. It was a shock to discover the author of these amazing books plus `In the Midst of Life` and `Shadows of the Workhouse` had died in 2011.

We watched the TV series as a family, and thought it ex viewing. Reading the books has been even more of an eye opener, and reminded me of the five times I've given birth!!

Life in the early 1950's was indeed grim, although being born in 1949 I have no recollection of such trauma. We were never well off but never starving, like many of the East End of London families.  :'(

Funny how both books have made me appreciate the menopause too! No more monthly's to worry about OR accidental pregnancies!!!  :o

Anyone else read and enjoyed these books? I have Jennifer's last book on order, and will let you know all about it once I've read it!

Hannah x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Call The Midwife and Farewell to the East End
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »

Yep - there are about 5 in the series.  She died partly through the making of the documentary/film series from her books.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »

There's an interesting Radio Times article here http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-02-19/did-call-the-midwifes-chummy-exist

Taz x

viv

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »

I read Call the midwife and Farewell to the East End. I got a sample of the Shadows of the Workhouse for my Kindle and did not fancy it.

I really enjoyed the series and although it did not follow the book exactly it was enjoyable.

How things have changed and I am glad I gave birth in the 80s. I am too much a a wimp for anything else.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »

Stick with Shadows, i found it interesting.

The other one is "In the Midst of Life"

Hannah

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »

The piece on the workhouse in Call the Midwife was so devastating I won't do the other "workhouse" book but I think her last one will be something special.

3 of my 5 children were home births without complications so I was very lucky. The 2 hospital ones were over and done with without much fuss too, so I've been very blessed. Probably why the MP is wreaking revenge!!! :o

It was the squalor and deprivation that really got to me in the books. The women were a tough breed though and certainly knew how to handle themselves!

I feel as if I got to know Jennifer Worth thru the stories. Sad that she has gone now.  :'(

Hannah x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »

Read Call the Midwife after my daughter told me about it.  Loved it.  Have got Farewell to the East End to read on my holidays, along with a couple of others.  Not taking my Kindle.  Will leave books behind for someone else to read.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:16:07 AM by cubagirl »

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »

You'll be doing your own version of "book crossing" CG  - releasing books for others  :)  http://www.bookcrossing.com/

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »

We did it once before, when holiday rep suggested it.  Great idea.  We'd gone out there with 2 or 3 books each and left them behind.  Well you have to don't you, need room for all the things you bring home with you.  ;D

littleminnie

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »

Yes all the things you bring home and never use.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »

Book-crossing is such hard work  >:(

I've read recently another book but the family tree is so complicated I'm going to type as much out as I can and staple it to the book  :o

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »

Why is it hardwork? I just used to slap a label in it and leave it somewhere. To be honest I never found one  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

That's not the idea, you have to register with your local BC group and put the title/author/comments onto the web-site first  ::) ...... then leave it although not somewhere that will cause a Security Alert  :o - 10 years on I'm still occasionally getting comments on books I've let into the Wild .......... I woudl rather sell mine now though  :-X

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »

Ours were given to the tour rep, for him to distribute, so no problems with labelling.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 12:44:17 PM »

I haven't read them but one of our chaps at work's sister gave birth just over a fortnight ago - she'd been sent home from hospital saying she was still too far off and had the baby at home with her Mum attending (she'd just finished reading the book) :)
Pages: [1] 2