Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Can't Sleep?  (Read 50124 times)

Taz2

Re: Can't Sleep?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »

Ha ha - are you normally sleepy by the time you go to bed? It's sometimes worth waiting around for longer before trying to get to sleep.

Taz x

Lynne888

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 10:54:34 PM »

I've just come up to bed now. I have to say it depends on a lot of things what time I go to bed. If I'm not watching anything on tv it's usually 11.30 - 12 but it can be one or two if I'm watching something or doing something. Fortunately I work at home as I have my own business so it doesnt matter if im knackered in the day that much but I do wonder how I would manage to work if things were different. I'm wide awake so I'm not even going to try to sleep at this point!

Meno_Madness

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »

Yes I have also suffered a lot of sleep problems. It seems to come with menopause territory. I certainly understand the frustration of wanting to sleep, but just not being able to.

Fortunately, for me, HRT has helped in that area a lot, but I still have some nights where I'm not able to sleep. I think what I eat before going to bed has a lot to do with it though. Anything high sugar doesn't seem to agree with me.

Lynne888

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »

The few things I did before going to bed seem to have done the trick! I know it probably won't continue and of course, it could just be that I was totally knackered from the night before!  I dropped off sometime after 1AM, got up to go to the loo (don't know the time) then dropped straight back off and got up at 8AM so that was a real improvement! Wonder if it was the banana!!!

Meno_Madness

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »

Pleased to hear that Lynne. Bananas are supposed to be good for sleep. My grandfather always had to have a banana before he went to bed because he said it helped him sleep.

I often have a small glass of milk before going to bed too. Not sure if it helps, but I seem to get to sleep okay.

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 07:16:54 AM »

I have found this - I can't post the whole link as it has a buy now facility

"Eat a banana before going to bed for better sleep

Office fruit box news:

Eating a banana before going to bed can aid a restful night's sleep, according to health experts.

Bananas contain an amino acid called tryptophan which is thought to convert into a calming and sleep-inducing chemical in the brain called serotonin, states the NHS.

The yellow fruits also contain vitamin B12, which experts believe could help to combat insomnia and also trigger endorphins – otherwise known as feel-good brain chemicals – which have a relaxing effect to reduce stress.

As if that was not enough, this all-round super-food is a rich source of potassium, magnesium and calcium.

A study carried out last year by the University of New England in Australia states that bananas "may help cure sleep disorders and snoring."

Researchers also suggested that drinking a banana smoothie before bed is an effective cure for sleep apnoea – a potentially life-threatening disorder which causes sufferers to experience difficulty breathing during sleep. "

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »

I keep a banana by the bed now. If I wake in the night and can't drop straight off, I eat some of it; it's also useful for that anxiety surge which sometimes appears first thing in the morning. If it's a good night and I don't eat it, it goes on my breakfast porridge.  :P
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »

I find they give me indigestion nowadays which is very annoying!  :cuss:

Rosebush

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »

Lynne pleased you got some sleep :) good link Taz , i will give the banana a try tonight, along with a glass of milk.... :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »

banana milk shake then with ice-cream - funny how we soon get back to food  ;D

silverlady

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 10:39:17 AM »

Its interesting that melatonin interacts with progesterone at night , it could be one of the reasons why women start to find sleep more diffficult once progesterone starts to drop.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C304473.html

silverlady x

paisley

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »

I def get this and when restless leg starts it is even worse as my leg is under the covers then out then in. I put this cooling gel on now and that seems to help. I think if you can't sleep you feel worse the next day. At mo it is worse cos I live in Spain and the nights are so humid, I just have a sheet on cos I have to have something covering me. I try to do a bit of relaxation and that helps send me off. Hope you get more sleep Lynne888

Joyce

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »

Lynne I can fully sympathise!  You could have been describing me including the snoring husband!  ;D
I have had problems with hot legs at night, which can be one of the symptoms of restless legs.  However, I changed recently to a higher dose of HRT and the hot legs are much more bearable now and the sleeping is much better too.  I'm on oestrogen only though.

Lynne888

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »

Yes I do the legs in and then out of the bed too.. throw covers off completely, then throw them back on, turn one way, then the other, legs out again, then in...I should be about 8 stone all the exercise I get.. really though it  is very distressing at it's worst! I've no doubt last night lulled me into a false sense of security! We have family staying tonight so it will be worse if I'm suffering as I can't escape to the guest bedroom! The annoying thing is that I find I'm quite anxious about it even now and it's not midday yet!! lol

Lynne888

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »

Hmmmm...not sure the bananas would last a week. Bought some yesterday and they have gone quite brown today so my guess is by Monday they will be no good! DO love bananas and eat a couple a day but not late at night as I too get indigestion usually!! Anyway, will try anything - I've fallen to sleep on the sofa in front of the log  burner (I know, June and log burner but it really is cold in this old house!!) It will do me no favours tonight when I need to sleep!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10