Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 900154 times)

jeanie2

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »

Thanks Taz, can't wait to start now, will let you know how I go on. On reading more of the forum tonight, I notice some ladies liken the feeling to that of sand paper when attempting to have a little anky-panky.  Well that's the very the word I used to my 30 something GP today.  She asked what I meant! Well she wouldn't know would she, but reassuring to know others do.

Jeanie x

Annika

« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »

You can buy estrogen vaginal cream on Amazon, it cost me $15 as I live in the States. Hope this helps. ;)

suzysues

« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »

Hello girls, I am so happy to have found this forum & answers to all my questions....or at least the same questions!!  ::)  Although I am sorry you are all suffering too. 

I finaly went to my doc after the dryness & discomfort was getting so bad I couldn't have intercourse (although we still have fun!  ;)) My doctor prescribed Estriol pessaries & explained them to me & they sounded perfect. BUT as she handed me the prescription she said make sure your hubby wears a condom as he could develop breasts!!!!  :o  So that was that, hubs has never worn a condom in his life so he isn't going to start now!! And all that faffing about would spoil the moment after 31 yrs of marriage. So I brought some Replense, which seemed ok, but I still feel uncomfortable & know deep down that the Estriol pessaries are what I need.  I have read through all your replies & none of you mention this side effect. Is my doc scare mongering, as she reads on my notes that I don't use contraception (even though she never mentioned it) or have any of you been told this?

I need to pursuade my hubby, with conviction, that he won't develop breasts.  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2009, 07:26:30 PM »

Hi Suzysues  :welcomemm:

I first of all read your post with disbelief and then with  :rofl:

What on earth was your doctor on about? I have heard that some creams can do this if too much is used and intercourse happens straight away but with the pessaries this doesn't happen anyway. The are absorbed directly into the vaginal tissue - they stick to the side of the vagina high up and are absorbed through the vaginal wall. I have found this information for you http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001954.html and if you read through it you will find that it says that condoms are rendered ineffective if you are using the cream.

If I find any more info I will let you know. I have used Vagifem which is the same sort of product and nothing happened to my man's boobs.  ;D

Taz x

suzysues

« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »

Thanks for your reply Taz. It was enough to convince hubs that he will be ok (I thought this was meant to be about me!! MEN!!  ::))  I am still a bit worried about other side effects as I would never use HRT.  But you all seem to be very happy with it so I am gaining confidence. I am lucky as I only have this symptom & a few hot flushes so would like to try not to go down the HRT route if poss. Doc also says I am almost over the Menopause as I haven't had a periods for almost a year, even though she still hasn't done any blood test!!  :o

Taz2

« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »

Glad to be of help. I too thought I would never use HRT but in the end the symptoms got so bad that I had to ask my doc for it. I used Vagifem first but needed the "proper" HRT for the hot sweats which were so debilitating. I respect your choice not to use HRT but would say don't rule it out if things do get too bad.

As to your doc saying you are almost over the meno because you have gone almost a year without a period - well - I would say you just cant be sure. I went 10 months twice between periods before going back to a regular pattern for a while and the common medical feeling is that symptoms reach their worst two years after the last period and then subside over the next few years. My symptoms didnt really start until my periods had almost stopped.

Blood tests for meno are notoriously unreliable but I persuaded my doc to do one for me and it came back that my FSH was at 178 and to be fertile you need to have one of not more than 25 so she said I would never have another period. I then went on to have quite a few more!

Most of us on here have found that the meno journey is, in the main, a totally mystifying experience and what works for one doesn't work for another. You will find much support on here and there is always someone with some advice or a hug when needed.

Taz x

suzysues

« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »

Thanks hun, you all seem really lovely & normal!!!  ::)

dando

« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2009, 08:29:28 PM »

I'm on my third prescription of Ovestin cream but am not finding it as good as the Vagifem.  I use it x 2 a week but I still think my vagina feels dry and don't think I'd be confident to try intercourse (which isn't an issue at the moment ).  I'm about to cash in my 3rd prescription and think I might up the usage from x 2 a week to x 3 a week and see what happens.  I hate the feeling of being dry down below and without the oestrogen - any kind of self pleasure is a total waste of time  >:( - and I have to have some pleasure in life!!  I shall have been in the meno 2 years on 26th April - whoo hoo - my second anniversary!  The hot flushes kind of died off for a while but have recently come back with a bit of a vengeance and I still get night sweats too.  I keep hoping that maybe after 2 years, my pituitary gland will get the hint that my ovaries have retired for good and stop trying to get them going again and give me some peace.  All in all tho, I'm not enamoured with the meno as I've said many a time before on here.  Here's to you all and whatever works for you....... :bighug:

Meg

« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »

Daer All

Just am at my wits end to understand docs who say you should be through with menopause after say one year without periods or even up to five years without.  How can a doc say this?  It is so lacking in undestanding.  Sorry to say this but dont think anyone knows how long it goes on for.  Worst case scenario is, rest of your natural life.  For me the symptoms have ben going on for over four years and if one symptom abates a bit there is something else.  Any improvement is very very gradual and I am far from what I was.  If your oestrogen level drops then there are lots of symptoms that aren't going to go eg vaginal dryness, dry skin,(to name just two).  Sorry if I sound a bit negative but dont want to be fed lies, however there may be ladies who feel differently.

Meg

gardenia

« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »

Hi folks,

I just read all through these 12 pages looking for ideas and information to help cope with the dryness. I am really impressed with this site... the info and caring you all share. 

The product Omega 7 is new to me. After doing some research, I went out and purchased a bottle. Three pills have already helped with my stomach inflammation, definitely not quaffing as many tums and zantac. Hope it works on my lower parts.

Since I "did" have the external itch problem too, Codge, may I suggest a few possible home remedies that work for me.

:) eliminating (as much as you can) products containing sugar and yeast (bread, beer,etc.) from your diet
 :) eat yogurt with live cultures every day
 :) and put 1/2 bleach in your bathwater once a week or more often if it helps (if you have open wounds this might make it worse, so try this very CAREFULLY).

Also, have you ever checked the label on products that you are using.
I have a mineral oil allergy. Replens which contains mineral oil makes me itch crazy, likewise lubricants that contain mineral oil and/or other petroleum based products like liquid paraffinum, paraffin oil, petrolatum, and polycarbophil.

Well, this is my 2 cents. Hope it may help someone else.

dando

« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2009, 09:05:29 PM »

Oooh Gardenia, be careful putting anything like bleach in your bathwater....I worked for a gynaecologist for 4 years and he'd be ripping his hair out if he read your post.  We had a few patients who thought that doing that "helped" but it actually made things worse and I well remember him telling me in no uncertain terms never to do anything like that. 

I'm sure there are other things that you can do if you've got the itch.  I find that the Ovestin cream or Vagifem or other locally applied (topical) oestrogen cream applied vaginally will help with that.

The Omega oil tablets did zilch for me vaginally. I tried 3 months worth and gave up.  Maybe I should have done it longer but it was costing a fortune.  Whilst the Ovestin cream isn't fantastic, it is a whole pile better that Omega tablets.

I'm at a bit of a loss when I read "use it or lose it" articles with regard to having sex to keep your vagina healthy.  If its dry and sore, how can you have sex?  If its itchy and sore,how can you hve sex?  Why would you even want to and the less you want to the worse it gets...yes I know there are creams etc you can use and you can take HRT but if you don't want to take HRT or it gives you other problems, then its not much fun. 

suzysues

« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »

I started on Vagifem last night, then my Omega 7 tablets turned up this morning, so I have started on those too!!  ;D I hope something works!!! I will keep you posted.

Has anyone else tried the vitimin E peseries?

rebecca

« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2009, 07:10:06 PM »

Suzysues - I have tried the Vitamin E pessaries - a bit messy and fiddly but they did nothing for me I'm afraid.

I'm using Ovestin cream and as you may have read in my previous posts have found that although my dryness has improved, any serious action down there can't be tolerated.  Leaves me sore for days and the bladder gets jumpy too  ???

Rebecca

Carol2

« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »

I found it very upsetting, the move from a reallly active sex life to one of avoidance and dislike and then no desire at all because of the soreness and pain. I have used Ortho Gynest and found it fantastic, not only stops the dryness but I feel better in my self, less mood swings, sleep better, feel healthier. My GP has said I must not continue with it and must have a break using Replens as the cream stimulates the womb. However the Replens just acts as a water feeling for me and is not at all comfortable making for love making, plus I have a gritty, blobby discharge as it leaves my body. I want help to maintain the healthy love making  ???

Taz2

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »

Welcome to the forum  :)

Has your doc said how long you have to take a break from the cream for? I expect he is following the manufacturers instructions as it does say you should take a break every three to six months to see if the cream is still needed. I am on full HRT now but I can well remember the days of dryness. Unfortunately the HRT seems to have robbed me of my libido and "response" mechanism but am working on that one!

Taz
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 79