Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Who leaves their washing machines etc. on when they go out?  (Read 39108 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Who leaves their washing machines etc. on when they go out?
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »

That's never then 'cos I'm usually asleep or out and about with DH - apart from the last 3 weeks  ;)

minkusmum

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »

Eeek! Here in Switzerland we mostly live in apartments with a shared laundry. I get half a day a week to do all my washing, which has to be cleared from the drying lines by the end of the following day. I have no choice but to leave the washer and the dryer to get on with it unsupervised, plus smoke detectors are virtually unheard of. And you thought this was a civilized country...

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »

Eeek, double eek  :o ……… in Yorkshire some house Deeds state that washing can only be hung on the line on a Monday  :( …….and it rains in Yorkshire, a lot  ::)

Could you not fit a smoke alarm? start a precedent? and I thought that your washing would be blowing in the pure mountain air  :D

honeybun

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2014, 06:42:49 PM »

Health and safety gone mad. Can they not just leave us alone to be free thinking independent adults.
I have recently had a visit from a council jobs worth. An objectionable little man. I wanted a building warrant for a couple of velux windows.
He was told in no uncertain terms that he was not there to inspect the room use but to say the windows had been fitted correctly.
Much to my hubbies surprise I kind of lost my temper and chucked the jobs worth out whilst telling him it was my house and I would do what I like with it   ;D
Can't quite believe I did it and I'm sure I won't get my warrant....but hey ho he should think himself lucky I did not thump him.....one of those days  ::)

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »

;D  better now, perhaps you need some Snickers  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »

Which bit shows health and safety gone mad?

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2014, 06:57:34 AM »

If I didn't leave my machines on when I am out or in bed, things would never get washed! The washing cycles take forever these days.

There have been 2 fires in neighbours houses in the last few years, one where the house and contents were completely lost. In both cases, the people had recently moved in and were doing improvements, without giving the existing electrics an overhaul. The existing electrics were not up to the job. When we had various improvements done we were advised to have a new fuse box installed. It is far more sensitive, but the electrician has organised it so if the lights on one side of the house go, the other side doesn't.

We wouldn't happily live in a house with a thatch roof. Both my husband when he was a policeman and my son as a retained firefighter, had to attend numerous fires in houses with thatch roofs, which burnt rapidly down. Very frightening.

littleminnie

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:19 AM »

I've always left my washing machine on when I'm out. Never even thought about it until I saw this thread.

honeybun

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »

It was just me having  bit of a rant about my council jobs worth Taz  ::)

He told us that our loft room was not safe without bothering to look at what the builder had done. I asked him if he was qualified to make these statements and he started mumbling about health and safety. Really annoyed me.

Honeyb
x

Scampi

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »

If I didn't put my washing machine on when I'm out or overnight, I'd never get any washing done!  I leave for work at 6am, get home (after visiting Mum) around 7pm and go to bed around 9pm .... not sure how I'm supposed to get the washing done and dried in those 2 hours!!

Taz2

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »

Ah I see - sorry missed that bit!

It is difficult to see how we can get things done in the time we are in the house - I agree Scampi. I only started this thread - years ago now - because a friend had just started a job as the official photographer for the Manchester Fire Brigade and he was amazed at how many household appliance fires he had attended.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »

I would never buy a property anywhere near thatched roofs  :o.  End of.

honeybun

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »

Oh I would if I could afford it.

That's like saying you won't live next to a road in case you get run over.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »

My in-laws live in a thatched cottage - very pretty.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »

Nope not at all  ::)  ......... we all live near roads ......... and so far I've avoided those stupid drivers that use mobiles/make up/computers/pouring coffee whilst driving  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8