Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 121619 times)

coffee mate

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 10:45:57 AM »

Hi LD.
Hurdity is right. Norethisterone is one of the most intolerable progs. I had awful pmt's with it.  >:(
You may be lucky though, who knows.  I get a very small withdrawal bleed [well, just spotting really] with the Utro, but for me that's a walk in the park, compared to all other progs that I have tried.
The spotting only lasts a few days if your lucky LD. Why not just give it a try? who knows, it may suit you.  ;)

oldsheep

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »

saw the gynae today and of course forgot my notes at home so forgot to ask him about vaginal Utrogestan.

However he did say that the not eating with Utrogestan thing depends on how much you eat. I am happy to report that a ginger biccie at bedtime is just fine  ;D ( a full meal is not)

Hurdity

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »

hey george that's great news!
Exactly - if it's just the tiredness it's copable with isn;t it - after all that's what happens during periods anyway. Fingers crossed that you continue to feel OK and that you don't get a withdrawal headache.
I'd forgotten that you were on a two-monthly cycle. Is that just you deciding to do this or did the doc agree to this? I presume you are on 200 mg like me?
Hurdity x  :)

coffee mate

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Yes George. That was the only down side for me too, but as I've said before, it's a breeze, compared to other progs I've tried.
Glad  [other than the tiredness] it's working out for you. Long may it continue.   ;)

cm xx

Rivadan

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »

Excuse me for butting in on the thread, but does this mean you could have a higher dose (say 2-3mg) of oestrogen with the 200mg Utrogestan used 2-monthly?

The only reason I would be interested in this is that I've read research articles that say women with hairloss from menopause alopecia can improve BUT usually need a higher than usual dose of oestrogen.

Hurdity

« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »

Rivadan You are not butting in at all!!!!

Interesting this and your prescription george - that they are happy with 75 mcg oestro and the two monthly Utro. It is the longer cycle that I am using ( ie two monthly) that is stopping me from increasing the oestrogen, as well as my age (58).

Rivadan - If you look at Tridestra the only licensed 3 month preparation, that does give 2 mg estradiol - but it's estradiol valerate which I understand gives a lower serum level of estradiol than the estradiol in the other preparations.

However I know there are several on here who have been prescribed longer cycle HRT using separate oestorgen and Utrogestan I think - so maybe there is someone also taking tablets on a longer cycle? Hopefully they will be along to let us know.

Rivadan

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »

I've noticed that the instructions with the 100mg capsules indicate they are either for use for 12 days monthly or for 25 days (which will give less of a bleed).

This would imply that with lower doses of oestrogen the 100mg strength used monthly is sufficient. I'm sure I've read something about this somewhere before (possibly Dr Studd's site) but can't for the life of me seem to locate it now.

If this is the case then its likely that with the 200mg capsules you could take a higher dose of oestrogen - perhaps even if used bi-monthly and especially if used vaginally?

Just throwing this out in case anyone can remember the article I mentioned.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:57:35 PM by Rivadan »

oldsheep

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

I am on 1mg oestradiol valerate (low dose) and Mr Gynae is happy with 100mg Utrogestan for 14 days per month.
I did have a scan though to check how thick the lining of the womb was.

I think I am just starting my first bleed since August, 5 days into the Utro cycle, so mad as usual; it's certainly not an exact science ie 3 days after the Utro, you have a bleed. Hormones have a mind of their own....

Btw does Utro give anyone else nightmares? I've had some crackers just before waking up the last 4 days.
This am's was so vivid that I can still remember every daft detail.

oldsheep

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »

I'd trade the gorilla for the stressful nonsense I dreamt early this morning. That one sounds fun. Were you watching King Kong before bed?  :D

Rivadan

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2012, 07:22:16 AM »

Utro doesn't exactly have a very good reputation for side effects does it - drowsiness, dog breath and scary dreams - no wonder its not very commonly used - its only for the brave  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »

Hi Rivadan

I do beg to disagree!

Compared to side effects like depression, irritability, migraine, headachey head fog and permanent PMT caused by some other synthetic progestins - these side effects are minor. The breath thing must only affect some women, and progesterone is known for its sedative effect, and occurs in the second half of our natural menstrual cycle anyway.

It is not commonly used I am sure because it is much cheaper to prescribe pills like premique than anything else and separate patches/pills and utro would be more expensive. I also think docs prefer us not to be messing around with separates and seem to prescribe it on request rather than as a matter of course. It also seems many have not heard of it - eespecially the old school docs brought up on the synthetic oestrogens and progesterones, widely used used in the early days of HRT before bioidenticals were produced.

For anyone who has problems on the progesterone part of HRT this is the most natural route and least likely to cause the horrible side effects mentioned above.

Being bio-identical it mimics as far as possible the natural progesterone in our bodies. I know many of us do not like taking/using it but it does have other functions in the body besides reproduction or protecting the womb so despite the tiredness etc I am happy to use it and would strongly recommend its use to anyone - at least to try it for a few months.

I'll get down off my soap box now....

oldsheep

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »

Utro's not that bad. At least not in 100mg doses. Very manageable and helps sleep (a bit) which is a good thing in my book.

Rivadan

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »

Errr ... I was just trying to be amusing!

Hurdity

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »

Ooops sorry! Tis amazing how the written word is interpreted!!!!!
This is how I should have responded - told you I was on my soap boax!
 :rofl:  :rofl:
 - sorry Rivadan I spoiled your joke...  :o

xx

oldsheep

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »

me too. I'll look forward to dog breath just to add to my list of fun things that happen with meno. Will just have to disguise it with chocolate  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14