Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 121626 times)

Rivadan

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »

I've found Utrogestan a lot more unpredictable than Norethisterone. With the synthetic I had a predictable bleed 3 days after stopping, which lasted about 5 days in all.

So far on Utrogestan I've had bleeds 7 days in and 10 days in. They were only about 3 days in length.

I've just been trying the 100mgs vag alternate day regime but have started a full blown bleed on the 5th capsule. I don't know if this is because I had an HRT free month before I re-started. I must say it feels as if I've been blasted with dynamite!

This has really made me think that if and when I do finally throw the towel in with HRT I shall end with a course of prog just to make absolutely sure there's nothing left lingering within!

I have to conclude Utrogestan isn't the one for me - although it is definitely effective - and if you have trouble sleeping/relaxing (not me!) - its definitely worth trying.

Rivadan

« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

Yes I know what you mean Jaycee. I had breakthrough bleeding (or rather spotting I think I would describe it as) when I was on Kliovance, which is a conti tablet. That went on for a couple of weeks then stopped completely.

This is MUCH more than that. Its truly like one of my old periods, complete with the pains. Its a bit concerning that if I'd continued to stay off the HRT this would presumably have been hanging around inside - eek!  I do have Utrogestan to thank for that.

I hope you continue to have success with the new regime. The vaginal route was certainly better  for me in terms of causing no drowsiness or dry mouth.

Rivadan

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »

I don't think its at all advisable to try and achieve a no bleed cycle until you're at least 1 year post meno. Most of the no bleed tablets do specify that on the instruction leaflet. Utrogestan is a bit different because it advises taking 100mgs orally for 25 days of the month and then having a break when a bleed may or may not happen. If you are still in peri meno then I would think it most likely you would have a bleed.

George, there are some of us who have been "experimenting" with taking Utrogestan in various ways to achieve a no bleed situation but we are (I believe anyway) all post menopausal and have done a lot of research into it. Therefore I would only ever advise using it as per the patient instruction leaflet.

Hope this helps.

Rivadan

« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »

I thought this was quite interesting - had my blood pressure checked this week and its down to 120/70. This had been up to 130/90 while I was taking norethisterone. Coincidence??

Hurdity

« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »

Raised blood pressure is listed amongst the many potential side effects of norethisterone...
Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »

That's interesting Hurdity as it doesn't appear in the patient information leaflet.

Taz

Hurdity

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »

The dose of norethisterone in the leaflet I looked at is 5 mg so much higher than in conti HRT - not sure what dose you were taking Rivadan or what the HRT was? This is the one I looked at:
http://www.medicines.org.uk/guides/norethisterone/blood%20clotting

Also if you look at the leaflet (the SPC = summary of product characteristics)leaflet on elleste duet conti (as an example of an HRT containing norethisterone) it says hypertension ( high blood pressure) is one of the conditions which could recur or be aggravated when taking it ( though doesn't say this is specficially due to the norethisterone here as it's a combi product).
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/20964/SPC/Elleste+Duet+Conti/

I was really just saying that maybe this could have caused Rivadan's raised blood pressure - but of course there are lots of other causes too I understand.

Hurdity x

Rivadan

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »

Stopping Norethisterone is the only change I've made, so is the only obvious thing I can think of that may have caused the change in my BP.

The reason I posted on this thread is that it may be useful information for anyone thinking of switching to Utrogestan.

Cassie

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »

I am one of those ladies that my Dr lets me use Uterogestan only every 3 months and then 100mg daily for 14 days. I am very tiny and do not weigh very much so he said that I could get away with the lower dose? After reading all these posts, I got a bit worried that I was underdosing myself but all my scans so far show that the endometrial lining remains thin. I prefer this regime and also use the Oestrogen Gel Pump 1 and a half pumps daily. This has worked well for me over the years and I have been symptom free, however I do prefer to use the Uterogestan on a 3 monthly cycle as it does not come without its symptoms, tummy ache, sore boobs etc. But thinking that perhaps I should use it every 2 months instead now? May go onto that and see what my next scan looks like but prefer the Uterogestan to the synthetic Progestegins.

Cassie

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »

Do you use the 100mg or 200mg as I am not able to get 200mg so thought that I would have to pop x 2 100mg tabs oh and I use them vaginally, find it easier! :)

Rivadan

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

That's really interesting about the weight/dosage ratio - they do that with steroids I seem to remember.

No comfort for me, being a big 11 stoner though!!

Hurdity

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »

Hi Cassie and all

I use Utrogestan on a two-monthly cycle. Just on my third cycle now.
I was prescribed 200 mg - supposed to use it monthly but GP agreed two monthly was OK.
I do 12 days vaginally.
Oestrogen as Estradot 50 - I think that's approx equivalent to 2 pumps oestrogel.
I am 9 stone and 5'1''. (Just lost 10 pounds and wondering if I need to up my oestrogen due to loss of oestro in fat cells.....).
If your scans show the lining is thin then no need to worry at all. Your oestrogen dose is not high. Just keep checking. You will be able to tell by the bleeds anyway. If they end up very heavy you will know there is a build-up.
Mine last a week and are very light - only need to use two thingies per day and one at night at the most.
I am 58 and about 4 years post-meno.
Hope this helps
Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »

Thankyou for the replies. Yes I guess every Dr seems to have a different theory, mine def attributes a lot to my tiny frame and being underweight, including my early meno, I guess he may have a point!

One annoying thing that could also be due to being tiny is that on the Oestrogen Gel, I find that if I do not use it at a regular time, the other night I fell asleep and forgot to apply it, so in effect, I missed a day, I inevitably end up with a breakthrough bleed, argh! My Dr seems to think my body is quite senstitive to the Oestrogen, not sure but it has happened on every ocassion that I have forgotten to put it on, yet the pharmacist said that some people only use it every other day, that would def not work for me!

Rivadan

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »

Our bodies are odd aren't they? I reckon I could easily skip a day because from experience the oestrogen seems to still be effective when I've given it up for three weeks ... oh blimey that's probably due to all the fat it hangs around in  ;D

Cassie

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »

For those that use Uterogestan cyclically, I think Casey was one of them using it for x 14 days, on what day in the cycle do you start, like to be as close to the real thing back in the good ole days when my body still made its own Prog!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14