Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice before HRT a review please  (Read 893 times)

Starshell

Advice before HRT a review please
« on: May 13, 2022, 03:15:42 PM »

Hi everyone I have been on Novofem for over 2 years now, the ones that cause a monthly bleed, after 2 years of asking I have a HRT review phone call with the doctor in a few weeks so wanted to ask some advice please
I am not sure if Novofem is the best form of HRT for me
I have heavy bleeding to the point I am losing blood clots maybe every three months or so, most months the bleed is what I feel is a normal amount
I have gained a lot of weight despite regular exercise
I have no sex drive at all, to the point it is causing problems in my 25 year marriage
The good points are my moods are more regular, apart from when the bleed is due then I feel as bad as I ever did with PMT and I am sleeping a lot better and only get hot flushes at night, again mostly when the bleed is due
I would like to ask my GP if transdermal HRT might be better for me, and wanted to ask what others thought of this, I will maybe ask for testosterone gel too to see if will help with my sex drive?
If she refuses, maybe due to supply issues can you use testosterone gel alongside tablet form HRT?
Another thing I am thinking is stopping altogether and seeing what my periods are actually like now? I am not sure I would be bleeding as much naturally as the HRT causes?
Sorry for all the questions, and would really appreciate any advice

VanillaLover

Re: Advice before HRT a review please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 07:36:34 AM »

Hello, how old are you and what were your periods like before you started HRT?

Starshell

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 07:27:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply Vanilla
I am 51 and actually thinking about your question my periods were pretty regular before HRT with a heavier bleed very 3 or 4 months so maybe this is normal for me?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 09:26:31 PM »

Transdermal is safer than oral so perhaps a good idea to change. If you're still getting flushes you may benefit from a higher dose. Most GPs won't prescribe testosterone themselves you you may need a referral to a menopause clinic (expect a long wait).

Peana

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 08:22:59 AM »

Hi, maybe try the mirena coil for the heavy bleeding, it certainly helped me?  I'm in the annoying first 6 months phase where there is a lot of spotting, but it's not half as bad as the heavy, clotty bleed.

Starshell

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 09:42:50 AM »

Oh I can’t use the Mirena coil 
I had it about 10 years ago and got extremely depressed and also got huge boils on my face, I am quite a spotty person but these were on another level!

VanillaLover

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 10:40:35 AM »

I think the only way to see how you are without the HRT is to stop it for a while and see! That’s a daunting prospect though I know! If you are still getting flushes now I guess the worry is that without the HRT they could be still there and worse …. or you may stay at the same level of flushes and be able to tolerate it. 

Transdermal is safer, and you can take utrogestan as the progesterone instead of the mirena if you have a just oestrogen patch. You can get combined patches too of course which you may prefer.

I have been referred to an NHS menopause clinic by GP and the wait was actually only about 3 months which is ok I guess.

Starshell

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 10:59:48 AM »

Thanks so much everyone 😊
The Dr who is calling me is actually really nice and your advice gives me more confidence to ask her for an alternative, another thing I am worried about, which seems shallow, is my weight gain, is there less weight gain with patches rather than tablets?
You are all wonderful on here, thanks again

VanillaLover

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 11:17:14 AM »

I doubt it, sadly.