Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oral hrt for genitourinary problems?  (Read 1236 times)

silverstar

Oral hrt for genitourinary problems?
« on: December 09, 2020, 10:25:42 AM »

Have developed problems with both vagifem and Ovestin recently due to uti like symptoms. No infection found on tests. I spoke to the doc this morning, she wants me to try vaginal moisturiser for a month to see if things settle. If not she said we can have a discussion about oral hrt as there is nothing else suitable. She didn’t mention estring though, so am puzzled. I am over 60 and have never taken hrt due to endometriosis, but it seems as if there has been a rethink about this. I was under the impression that patches or gel are better than oral hrt?

TnToast

Re: Oral hrt for genitourinary problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »

I asked about the Estring recently Silverstar and was told the practice couldn't prescribe it. They did tell me they could perhaps refer me to Gynae after my upcoming appointment and that they may prescribe it. Perhaps it is because it is more expensive?

I wonder if oral is encouraged over patches or gel for the same reason? Also are there still shortages of some products?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 12:14:19 PM »

Are you sure the ovestin/vagifem is causing the problem rather than VA? Perhaps you aren't getting enough oestrogen? Have you asked your gp why you should use oral hft? Transdermal is usually considered safer. Many women need local oestrogen as well as hrt to keep VA under control.

silverstar

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »

Hi there, thanks for your replies. I have been on Ovestin for 7 years but suddenly developed severe burning with it, vagifem also after a couple of days. Yes, I think I need hrt and will ask for transdermal rather than oral. Just looked at the prices and they are a lot more expensive than tablets, think this is the reason doc is suggesting tablets. She wants me to try vaginal moisturiser for a month and another uti test, then she said we will have a discussion about oral hrt if that doesn’t work. I bet they won’t prescribe estring because of cost either.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 06:08:44 PM »

Estring is available in online pharmacies, £40 for 90 days. Try a forum search, I'm pretty sure someone has used it successfully. Have they sent your sample away? Sometimes a lab will find something that doesn't show up in a dipstick test.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 06:12:15 PM »

Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well.  Which moisturiser has your GP suggested?  Let us know how you get on?

You shouldn't have to pay for 'estring', mayB ring your local Gynae Clinic to find out how long the waiting list might be?

silverstar

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 07:17:41 PM »

I have had a lab test (2 months ago) which came back negative. Will do another tomorrow for the GP to send away again. I am using “yes” moisturiser which isn’t irritating and will see if it settles things, I doubt it though as I have always needed vaginal estrogen in the past. My bladder has never really been right since my hysterectomy 10 years ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 07:59:43 PM »

At least the samples are going to a Lab..

Let us know!

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 08:46:41 PM »

No sign of a prolapse is there?

silverstar

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »

Hi Sheila,
No, no prolapse, had examination.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 09:30:42 AM »

Hi silverstar

Just to add that even though you have had a hysterectomy, if you do start HRT due to ongoing vaginal problems not improved by vaginal oestrogen, then you will likely be advised to take a continuous combined HRT containing a progestogen, due to the endometriosis, unless you know that the endo was completely confined to the uterus and was all removed after your hysterectomy.

Hurdity x