Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Best time of day to take Provera tablet  (Read 4731 times)

pamb

Best time of day to take Provera tablet
« on: September 28, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »

Hi Ladies

I've been on Evorel Sequi for the past 9 months and have been fine with it until the last couple of months when I was into my second week of the Evorel Conti I got a ****ly rash on my chest and a non itchy rash on my thighs - not at patch site.  It eased off a bit when I went back onto the Evorel 50 although the rashy bumps were still there. 

The only thing different these past couple of months is that initially my periods were erratic and coming when I was still on the conti patch, which I'm assuming was probably my own hormones taking over, and the last couple of months I didn't get a period until I'd finished the conti patch.  So I was thinking that maybe my own hormones are starting to decrease and the HRT treatment is more prominent and my body is reacting to the progestogen in it.

So my GP has prescribed 3 months of Provera tablets for the progestogen part of the combi treatment to see if that makes a difference.  I thought it would be best to finish my Evorel Sequi this month and start the Provera when I'm next due the progestogen part.  I'm still going to use Evorel 50 patch for my estrogen.

My question is, if anyone has any idea how long it usually takes before my body is rid of the norethisterone from the Evorel Sequi and also when is the best time of day to take the Provera tablet.

Many thanks

Pamb x

Hurdity

Re: Best time of day to take Provera tablet
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:23:49 PM »

The norethisterone is eliminated from the body within hours so after a couple of days I would have thought most would be gone - although some of the effects take a bit longer to reverse (hence the prog withdrawal pms symptoms). Most of us take or insert our prog at eve/night so the peak systemic concentration will occur (hopefully) while we're asleep. Some take eg progesterone earlier in the evening to ensure the sedative effect has mostly worn off by morning - if it's going to.

Hurdity x

Lanzalover

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 05:08:52 AM »

Good morning pamb

I use Provera and take it after my dinner we don't usually eat till 6.30pm or later so I tend to take it early evening.

Sorry but I don't have the answer to your question re Norethisterone

Good luck with the Provera hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Lanzalover x

pamb

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies Hurdity and Lanzalover. 

I'm hoping the Provera will suit me better, although my big concern is that it might turn out to be the oestrogen that I have a problem with.  I've just read that oestrogen can bring on allergies which would mean I'd have to give up on HRT altogether as I don't want to try any of the synthetic oestrogens available.

It would be a real pity if that was the case as I'm having less hot flushes/night sweats and better sleep. 

Still, que sera and all that!

pamb x

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »

Pamb - I was on Provera I took it a bit before I went to bed - I was told to take it at night because it had a sedative effect but by and large the sedative effect was a bit hit and miss - there were still plenty of nights when the insomnia got me.

Hope you get on alright with it, I was given it on a continuous regime which I couldnt tolerate and have changed to Utrogestan virginally starting on a 12 day cycle together with oestrogel but I think I am going to have to drop the number of days from 12.

That's why I dont take Provera anymore - I suppose I could have used that in a cycle but I thought the gel and utrogestan would be a bit more flexible but I am only a month is so have to see how it goes.
I also started with hayfever but that came on when I was peri and before I had HRT - my hrt and Ive had a few didnt seem to make it any worse but funny you menton the rash I had one around the time I was on Everol but taking evorol only lasted a month because I ended up in hospital for something else and they took me ff HRT altogether so there was no way of know if it was the everol or just a coincidence.

The truth is pamb, there is a lot of stopping and starting and waiting to try and find out what works and what doesnt and what settles - its just the feeling rubbish while having to wait that's the real kicker!

pamb

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »

Thanks for your input Ladybt28.

You're right, it is the feeling rubbish until you find the regime that suits that's a pain in the backside.  I was hoping after 9 months I'd be okay but I suppose the peri phase can be a bit tricky to deal with.  Hopefully as I'm 55 now I should be starting to be almost nearing post menopausal but I know there are some women who are still having periods much later than that so who knows! 

Mind you the one thing that has settled down is my scalp psoriasis which first appeared when my peri symptoms started.  I won't say it's gone completely but it's certainly improved and I know low oestrogen can exacerbate it.  I've also been taking turmeric supplements and they can help with psoriasis so goodness knows if both or either is helping or it could just be a coincidence and I'm just in remission.   

Thanks again.

pamb x