Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How to convince my daughter?  (Read 6220 times)

cubagirl

How to convince my daughter?
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »

She knows too much. She's a nurse & is unhappy that I now have an intolerance to eggs as well as dairy. Says I should have had a colonoscopy. I told her I had adhesions after all my ops over the years. I tried to tell her that many ladies develop problems with varying foods as they age & can't tolerate things like they used to. Heck she's visiting in 4 weeks & I'm sure to get the 3rd degree.  Help.  ???

coldethyl

Re: How to convince my daughter?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

I'm with your daughter if I'm honest. It's easy go blame everything on age and the change and often our doctors collude in this , but bowel habit changes and those involving the upper GI tract should be investigated to rule out anything sinister or to find out if there are treatable issues such as ulcers or diverticulitis etc.

Mbrown001

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:39:25 AM »

Sorry CG but I do agree with your daughter.

It's not great to self diagnose and any changes in bowel habits really should be investigated.

Mrs Brown

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 06:53:54 AM »

I told the GP my problems with dairy & now egg. He knows I get diarrhoea if I consume either of those, otherwise I'm fine, well apart from adhesions.  He certainly didn't have a lightbulb moment. I've had the dairy problem for nearly 20 years. I had varying tests & examinations but was declared fine. Was admitted to hospital too. They couldn't find anything wrong. It was me who eventually worked out the problem.

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »

I told several doctors about my irregular bleeding at end of periods and at ovulation time and no one battered an eyelid and it was put down to meno- sadly when one GP went that extra yard and I had a pelvic exam and scan, it wasn't that at all- without a colonoscopy you are just making assumptions which may or may not be right - having had cancer found later than optimally, I would rather be over examined and wrong than go on assuming nothing serious and finding out it is. Just my take.

cubagirl

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »

I get what you're all saying. I've seen various doctors over the years, but none seem worried. My bowels are perfectly normal, until I eat dairy or egg yolk. So long as I avoid these, I'm fine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »

If you are aware of what upsets your gut then maybe keep a food/bowel diary for 3 months - then go to a GP with the details and ask 4 a referal to the appropriate Consultant for allergy testing regardless of further 'attacks'?  In the mean-time check with your local Hospital which facilities there are if necessary, ringing the appropriate Secretary for advice.  (We don't bite  ;))

It may be necessary for a reducing diet then introducing food-stuffs that may be problematic under supervision and maybe a 'probe'  :o to make sure.  Tell your daughter next time she phones that her point has been taken, you will adopt a watch and wait approach (technical term) and when she is visiting, you don't want to feel that she is checking everything you eat/drink/poo! otherwise, she can stay away.

Your home, your rules ;-). 

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »

Have you been on any ABs recently? I began to get reactions to eggs and soya after having to take 'vicious' ABs for cellulitis several years ago, but after excluding them from my diet for a year, I was able to reintroduce them back. I had the support of a nutritionist.

My DD, as I've said before, is allergic/intolerant to both eggs and dairy in any form. She is healthy. GPs have shown no concern or even interest when she told them.

PS My son, a paramedic, was as bad when I had pneumonia. He sent me an oximeter and I had to use it every day, while on FaceTime, to reassure him I was ok! Sometimes people know too much! It also shows how much they care.

cubagirl

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »

Ju Ju, knew there was someone on forum who either suffered or knew of someone, but couldn't remember. My GP or others in surgery have shown no concern either. In fact old retired GP spoke in terms of "don't waste my time" but politely.  ::)

Hubby says just ignore DD.  She's only showing her caring side, just like your son.  :)

Mbrown001

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »

She could do worse things CG  ;D

Nowt wrong with a bit of caring.

cubagirl

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »

Oh I know Mrs B. Not sure she ever got over missing the warning signs of her hubby's illness. He'd had various things wrong for 2 years before, but nothing terribly specific. Even taken to hospital once when they were in Dundee, but they never spotted the problem.  Now, with all she's learning on her new course, she's super vigilant.

cubagirl

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »

Well having been encouraged by my big brother, off I went to GP today. I'd kept a record last 3/4 weeks to see if there was a pattern. It is definitely egg yolks. After I cut them out, symptoms all went. GP was very thorough examining me. She is pretty sure it's just an intolerance I've developed. Said it didn't warrant an emergency appointment for a colonoscopy as symptoms have gone. Next week I've to get blood tests done & in particular one for coeliac disease. Apparently I had food allergy blood test done 3 years ago for milk, eggs, wheat & gluten. No allergy but that doesn't mean I don't have an intolerance. I vaguely remembered after she told me. However, she said it is worth keeping an eye on.  She said daughter was right to be concerned because of my age, but unless something else happens, it isn't anything too much to bother about at the moment.

Butterfly22

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »

That's good to hear :) xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »

Well done!

cubagirl

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »

Daughter arrives next week, so at least I have an answer for her.  :)