Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hula hooping  (Read 5884 times)

Joyce

Hula hooping
« on: June 13, 2016, 09:57:51 PM »

OK don't laugh. I bought a hula hoop, one of the Davina ones. Decided I need to work on my midriff. Now I used to be quite good at using one as a child, but heck, not now. I'd tried with my eldest GDs one, still without much success. I've even looked at videos online.

Anyone else having as little success as me at keeping hoop around their middles? It looks easy!  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hula hooping
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »

I bought one about 15 years ago for a quid.  Having been good in School - round my middle, round my knees, sometimes round my neck - I couldn't keep it going at all.  It went next-door to much younger children  ::)

purplenanny

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:32:01 AM »

;D
I have often thought about getting one, but that's as far as I got!! 
I loved my hoop when I was little and it was easy.  :banana: I was very skilled at skipping also :gym: but tried the other day with my grandson's rope and felt like a hippo trying to jump :hapij:
Anyone remember those long skipping lines we did at school with huge ropes? Loved it!

Why is it things become so difficult with age ::)

Keep practising CG and let us know how you get on!

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »

Well I thought it would be like riding a bike, once mastered, never forgotten. How wrong could I be?  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »

:lol:

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »

Managed a few rotations this morning. They make it look so easy. I will persevere. Must whittle down my waistline. Swimming has helped, but not enough.

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:25:45 PM »

I was never very good at hula hooping as a child but do keep meaning to get one to try. That was the plan all last summer but every time I actually saw one I had a car that couldn't accomodate it! I must try harder this year.

I've tried skipping too - I was OK with the rythym but it hurt my knees  :'(

I think we forget how much fitter and more flexible we were as kids, so it was easier to pick these things up. Also we were more willing to keep trying if we failed the first few times, and we forgot about those bits very quickly.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »

Hey cubagirl - keep going!!!

Funny you should mention it as I hadn't used one since being a child but went away a couple of weekends ago and some friends were using them so I had a go and it was brill - the trick is in the pelvic wiggle I think and you have to be uninhibited about it - I had to move my hips back and forth much more than I anticipated but managed to keep going for about 5 mins!

Now you have reminded me how much fun it was I will buy one - in fact I meant to after the trip away!

If it really helps to whittle down the waistline then that's fantastic because although I'm slim - my waist is actually not much smaller than my hips (being ancient) so would love to help reduce it a bit and get rid of the little roll I still have there!

What a great idea! :)

Yes skipping is good exercise for cardio (and also fun!) but hard on the legs especially. I took this up a few years ago and I got pains in my calves so I stopped - I think it's not good for the joints either as you get older as it is too high impact.

Hurdity x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »

Hula hooping this morning certainly raised my heart beat. So unfit!

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »

We do this everyday in the playground at break - it's a bit disheartening watching the six year olds but I keep trying!!

Taz x

Dyan

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 04:59:29 PM »

Use to love hoola hooping as a child but don't think I'd be able to do it now ::)
PN- I remember the long skipping ropes at school. The dinner ladies would hold each end and we use to run in & out while the rope was being turned. Couldn't do that now either ;D

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »

We still use long skipping ropes too - jelly on the plate jelly on the plate and January February etc. when it's your birthday please run in and Teddy Bear Teddy Bear turn around. Great fun.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »

Elastic anyone?

Nice to know that School Playground games are enjoyed despite H&S!

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:30:54 PM »

Our local school has a zip line. Kids love it. Long, long time since I've seen a skipping rope though. Boys still have their footballs.