Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Am I through the menopause  (Read 2209 times)

Flossiemac

Am I through the menopause
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »

Hi
I'm 53 for the past year or so had a few hot sweats, last year only had a couple of periods, It's now been a year since I've had one. Does that mean I'm through the menopause ? To be honest had very little other symptoms and haven't been on HRT - surprising really as Ive suffered for many years with bad periods.
Thanks

Annie0710

Re: Am I through the menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »

I'm sure I've read if you've gone 12 consecutive months without a bleed, you're classed as post meno

I remember many years ago my mum told me 2 years, but there was no internet and she certainly never went any where a doctors Surgery!

I can't help but say I envy you (but happy for you) going through it unscathed

Annie xx

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »

Yes, you will now be classed as post meno. Fingers crossed that all will stay the same but you may find that as you get further into "post meno"then symptoms may begin to increase. It is thought that this can happen for the two years following the last period and then gradually subside. You may find that vaginal dryness begins to be a problem so be aware of that and if it happens then get advice and help from the GP sooner rather than later.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:27:29 PM »

Certainly after a few flushes after my evening bath which went a couple of years after my periods stopped; and vaginal atrophy is under control, I've been lucky!

:welcomemm:  have a browse round!

Flossiemac

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »

Many thanks 😃
I feel Ive been really lucky up till now so fingers crossed it'll stay that way

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »

Hi
I'm 53 for the past year or so had a few hot sweats, last year only had a couple of periods, It's now been a year since I've had one. Does that mean I'm through the menopause ? To be honest had very little other symptoms and haven't been on HRT - surprising really as Ive suffered for many years with bad periods.
Thanks

I am 52 and have been period free for about 18 months. I also haven't had other severe symptoms.  My flushes have become a bit more frequent. Earlier in the peri period i sometimes had morning nausea but that hasn't happened for some time. I have had tight calves/soles of feet which may be menopause related but I'm not sure. Perhaps I have worse to come but will have to wait and see...