Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Evorel 25  (Read 3424 times)

kayeb

Evorel 25
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »

Went back to the GP having still been flushing this hot summer.  Am 50, haven't had periods for over a year (uterus intact) & had been just using "alternatives" since a 3 month flirtation with Premac C last year that resulted in flooding.  The GP was lovely & I came away very happy clutching patches of Evorel 25 that look like the bio-identical patches.  However I am suspicious that I may have been given the wrong one as it is estrogen only.  Looks like by taking it I would have a much lower risk of breast cancer but much higher risk of womb cancer due to the risk of womb lining build up.  Have started it but disappointed I have been given the wrong one.  Am due to go back in 8 weeks. No improvement in symptoms yet.

honeybun

Re: Evorel 25
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »

You should have been given Evorel Conti. Its a bit stronger so would have helped the flushes quicker.
You can ask for a separate progesterone, Urtogestan is the one that quite a few use. You really need to call your GP as you really shouldn't use unapposed oestrogen for that length of time. It's not worth the risk to be honest.

Hope you get sorted out soon. The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago.

Honeyb
X

kayeb

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:34:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply Honeyb, you are confirming what I know deep down. I will phone the GP today.  I dread challenging doctors, apparently they HATE patients who look stuff up on the Internet. Thanks again x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:09 AM »

It's really a good job that we do though.

Hope you get it sorted out today.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 08:15:31 AM »

kayeb - you will need to use progesterone to induce a withdrawal bleed.  If the bleeds are a problem you could consider a Mirena as this should control and eventually stop all bleeding - you can then use as little or as much oestrogen as you need.  Evorel 25 is a low dose and could take longer to reduce symptoms but it could be enough in time to control meno symptoms - an increase to 37.5 or even 50 at your age would be absolutely fine and in fact, to protect your bones, could be beneficial.  Your Breast cancer risk at 50 is very,very low so don't worry - it's when you get to 60 there might be a slightly increased risk.
With HRT it is about finding the right regime for you - so very much trial and error.  DG x

kayeb

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »

Thanks for the replies, have phoned drs & receptionist will speak to dr & phone me back. Have a relative (much younger) who is a breast screener who vociferously says she wouldn't touch HRT with a 10 foot pole. (Maybe she will change if she gets meno symptoms) Will let you know how I get on with docs, I am fortunate that symptoms are not nearly as bad as fellow members x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »

Unfortunately those that work in breast screening get the impression that HRT is responsible for causing all breast cancers. The truth probably is that those on HRT actually go for screening and things are picked up earlier.  I personally wouldn't have screening if I wasn't on HRT as I hate being screened and only go through it because I have to to stay on HRT.  I have 3 friends who sailed through meno and didn't use any HRT and they have found lumps themselves, not through the screening process, and all had to have treatment. One of these friends had recently had a screening which didn't show anything, she discovered a lump a few months later and a particularly aggressive form of cancer was discovered - she is in her mid 50s and has also got advanced stage osteoporosis!!.The statistics actually show that HRT brings a very small increased risk in our 50s and a slightly higher risk in our 60s. Women who have had a hysterectomy are more likely develop breast cancer if they don't have some replacement oestrogen!!!!  Without HRT our risks increase gradually as we get older anyway.
One should also balance the risks of breast cancer against the benefits of HRT and these benefits are rarely reported. 5 years of HRT in our 50s have been shown to benefit the heart and bones in the long term and it can reduce our risk of developing bowel cancer. HRT is not just for reduced meno symptoms it will also help to prevent the early onset of vaginal atrophy and bladder problems which many of us find very distressing. I know 2 ladies in their early 60s who are going through treatment for bowel cancer - neither had used HRT!!!!
Using HRT is a very personal choice and we each need to take a balanced view about what is best for us and our quality of life. GPs tend to be very keen on prescribing ADs/SRRIs and they do have their place in treating all sorts of things but they carry side effects and risks as well.
Making an informed choice is the way to go.   DG x

kayeb

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies, doc phoned back but I missed her. She suggested I make an appointment for when she gets back off holiday.  She acknowledged I needed a combined HRT or Mirena, but said the low dose single HRT wouldnt hurt for a few weeks.  I will go & see her again.  DG, I agree with your comments re screeners.  I try to keep myself healthy which I think helps to reduvce the risk.