Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Have you tried Zoladex and Tiblone?  (Read 603 times)

Waitykaty

Have you tried Zoladex and Tiblone?
« on: July 10, 2023, 08:43:28 AM »

I'm not sure I understand what the process is.
I’m 54 and have been on HRT for 4 years until I got a fibroid that caused me to bleed and flood, so stopped all HRT. Fibroid was removed but I’m still bleeding daily. I’ve been taking Norethisterone daily

I've been prescribed Zoladex for abnormal bleeding ( bleeding constantly after a fibroid removal) but then I get Tiblone too.

If Zoladex is supposed to switch off my hormones why are they putting them back? I was previously on HRT  ( patches and Utrogestan) and loved it but the bleeding got out of control. My uterus is "bulky" and I'm currently too fat for a hysterectomy.

My bladder is very, very grumpy so I'm scared that the Zoladex will take away the oestrogen and make things worse. Vagifem etc stopped working and I needed full HRT to keep it happy.

Has anyone had this combination? Thank you
Why am I having something taken away just to add Tiblone, which presumably puts it back again?

Gilla999

Re: Have you tried Zoladex and Tiblone?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 09:22:47 AM »

That does sound strange and I don't know enough about fibroids to understand why that might be. Zoladex turns off all your hormone production and stops your FSH and LH as well - it's also known as "chemical menopause". Many people then have add back HRT as you've mentioned in order to prevent menopausal symptoms (though btw most experts now don't recommend Tibolone as there are better options available, ie. transdermal and Utrogestan).

But as you rightly say, if that's what you're taking anyway then I'm not sure what the benefit of the Zoladex part is. Many doctors are recommending Zoladex to me for different reasons, but the big difference is that I am still ovulating and I'm assuming from your post that you're not? That would be the only thing I could see that made sense - that if you weren't yet post Meno, that the Zoladex would switch your ovulation off and that would be their intention. If however you're post meno, I'm not sure I understand the logic at all!

Waitykaty

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 09:38:49 AM »

I’m not sure if I’m still ovulating or not.  I was when I went into HRT years ago. I only stoped taking it after the fibroid was discovered ( fear of oestrogen making it worse)
But now the fibroid is gone I don’t have to think about that. But the fibroid was obviously not the cause of my issues. Norethisterone keeps the floods and clots to a minimum but I still bleed daily.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 01:48:23 PM »

I think tibolone is one of the medicines that is supposed to stop you bleeding, like northisterone, except neither are working which must be draining.
Have you tranexamic acid or mefenamic acid to help reduce the flow?

Waitykaty

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 05:04:29 PM »

Yes to Tranexamic acid,
Not mefanic acid though

I’ve had and lost 2 coils, I’ve tried ibuprofen, pro Vera and had the fibroid removed.

I’m tempted to give Zoladex a go. It seems to be very Marmite from my trawl over the web.
Women either love it or it makes things worse