Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Weird 'surge'  (Read 3379 times)

KaraShannon

Weird 'surge'
« on: October 30, 2021, 11:20:31 PM »

Hi everyone

I'm having the thing I had just before the start of the pandemic, before HRT.  Surging feelings.  Feeling as though my heart is on fire, my arms too are involved, but I've had cardiology checks, including a stress echocardiogram and told whatever it is, it's not heart issues per se, though the heart might be being affected by hormones and they're not worried.

It's a surge feeling as though my heart is not beating properly (but when I check it is), weird feeling in the arms, in the throat...........I know, it sounds bad, but this is something I've had for a long time, it just went away with HRT and now is back.

Can people describe their hot flushes to me, to see if this is a variant on that?  ;D  I'm not hot, I've got the heating on, I never get hot, I get surges  ;D

I expect my period will arrive tomorrow and then it all goes away, but what the heck, what is my body really struggling with?  To be a woman. 

Dierdre

Re: Weird 'surge'
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 08:08:15 AM »

Sounds like anxiety to me. I used to have panic attacks that felt similar to what you are experiencing.  Have you had your blood pressure checked?

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 09:41:38 AM »

Adrenaline surge most likely,it can still occur even on HRT as hormones fluctuate still,the surges can bring on anxiety too as dierdre says,it's a hard to describe feeling,almost like a whoosh through you,also of course palpitations can occur,which I suspect don't show up on an ecg unless you they happen at that specific time. Maybe the HRT needs tweaking?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 09:54:48 AM »

If hrt used to control it but now it doesn't you may need to increase oestrogen. It isn't unusual to need more as you progress towards meno, I've had to increase twice as symptoms have returned

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 10:15:43 AM »

That sounds like the sensations I get when adrenaline surges through: hot water running through my veins, anxiety kicks in - it took a few weeks to realise what was causing it.  It scared the pants off me  :o

Winter

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 08:44:56 AM »

Adrenaline surge most likely,it can still occur even on HRT as hormones fluctuate still,the surges can bring on anxiety too as dierdre says,it's a hard to describe feeling,almost like a whoosh through you,also of course palpitations can occur,which I suspect don't show up on an ecg unless you they happen at that specific time. Maybe the HRT needs tweaking?

This is exactly what I feel I'm experiencing at the moment (see my post) - like a surge of adrenaline that sticks in my chest and feels so tight and awful. If I breathe on purpose, it does subside. Definitely had a bit of stress this week, but it came from nowhere, after the most amazing day, went from feeling fab to dropping like a stone. So yes, probably was a fluctuation, Im too scared to increase the oestrogen in case it makes it even worse!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »

That sudden drop can be due to excitement = adrenaline surges so the body uses up energy.  I hate it.  >:(

Some find that upping the dose occasionally during the week helps, it really is Trial and Error.

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 12:31:23 AM »

Thanks everyone, my period hasn't arrived yet ........I did mess up my patch sequence slightly a few weeks back so it might have affected my cycle, the surges have eased off so I wonder if it was my body's attempt at ovulation, that was the other theory before.

I've increased the oestrogen patch last month.  I've noticed that sometimes I don't think vagifem is working as well, at certain times of the month, then at others everything feels normal down there again, lol. 

I suppose it's a drop in oestrogen and I'll try and see the female doctor that prescribed the HRT.  She's good but I don't know what days she works, and don't know her name as she was new just before lockdown so I'm not good at explaining to the surgery who I want. ::)

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 09:52:13 AM »

Don't worry,the surgery receptionist  will know which Dr prescribed your HRT  :)

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 12:52:05 AM »

thanks Jaypo, I didn't realise they would have that info, that's helpful

Janze01

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 02:30:05 AM »

Been getting this feeling too. At different times throughout the cycle. 51 on estradot and prometrium 14days. I get it mostly on waking during the night. Then fast heart, sometimes up to 130ish. But not a Hot flush with sweats but a Hot surging feeling. Have had heart checks etc. Heart rate some days high other days low. I think the tachycardia gets to me though... Aaaaargh. Especially in the middle of night 2or 3times a night...

KaraShannon

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 01:59:10 AM »

Well I've had the 'surges' again, just had one now, hence up very late.  It's like my heart is sucking on something, lol. 

I do worry about it because a GP once said to me could I run or walk fast when I've got it and while I could, I think it would make my heart skip.  I've had numerous heart checks and cardiologists have told me that whatever is going on it's not heart disease. 

Anyway, it happening again now has made me revisit this thread and I realise I've not sorted going to the doctor about this, so I will arrange that. 

It's just stopped.  When it stops I can't believe that it was happening before.  A surging in my chest (no heat) for 30 mins and then, like a tap, it just turned itself off.

Can anyone relate to this?  I will revisit all your responses again in the morning, I'd better get some sleep  ;D

KaraShannon

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 02:19:56 AM »

Been getting this feeling too. At different times throughout the cycle. 51 on estradot and prometrium 14days. I get it mostly on waking during the night. Then fast heart, sometimes up to 130ish. But not a Hot flush with sweats but a Hot surging feeling. Have had heart checks etc. Heart rate some days high other days low. I think the tachycardia gets to me though... Aaaaargh. Especially in the middle of night 2or 3times a night...

Janze01, I did get tachycardia, it all calmed down 2 years ago with the HRT.  This is like my heart is sucking away on something, it beats slower, and its like 'suck, suck, suck...'  Tonight I thought this can't be normal at all, yet I sit and brace myself when it happens because it always seems to reach a fever pitch and then suddenly just switches off, as if someone's flicked a switch.  I have worried that it's angina, but cardiologists have said all tests are normal and there's no heart disease.  It happens only at certain times of the month, but it's a very strange experience.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »

I think it’s a mixture of anxiety and adrenaline surges.
I get palps, and I find just before my heart starts jumping outa my chest, I get this horrible feeling of a surge go through my body. It’s vile.
Doesn’t last long tbh, but Christ, it knocks me for six.

Smokey

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 02:27:06 PM »

Hi my hormones seem to be playing up again too, keep getting warm flushes and aniexty feelings , have weirded breathlessness at times , hiatus hernia pains now pain in right side and burning pain in my back, I’ve also had Diarrhea in last 24 hrs, temperature last night started shivering, and I now think I have throat infection brewing too! I’m currently waiting for doc to call. I wish I just felt well!

Smoakey (Ann )